The cursed tree | Teen Ink

The cursed tree

March 7, 2023
By Anonymous

The cursed tree

 


When I saw the large opening in the tree I saw a whole new world. Not a cool one. It reminded me of the upside down from a show I watched. Ashes fall down from the sky. Red lighting lights up the fog. It seems as if it is night. Then all of the sudden a big lizard looking man with no face jumps at me. I fall back from the portal as it closes up. What was that? I thought to myself. I have to go back there. I went home later that night in awe. I could barely sleep. I did not tell anyone where I was going when I got up. I didn't want them to steal my find. At the crack of dawn I got up with my bag packed and I left, I could feel the crisp air against my skin. I was scared. But also excited. I had left a trail of rope as I went on into the dark trees. After about a 5 minute hike I saw it. The portal was open. Was it an alternate dimension I thought? I stepped closer not seeing the faceless man. I stepped inside as it closed behind me. It reeked of rotting food. I started going into the fog. I strangely recognized the buildings in it. I saw my house, car, and school. I realized that this is our world but in a different place with vines and strangle looking goo covering it. I hear shrieks in the distance. I thought of the faceless figure. I couldn't stop now though. I trekked deeper into the fog. I was walking on a path when something swooped over my head. It was a deformed looking bat covered in what looked like blood. I got the baseball bat out of my bag to swat it away. A whole flock flew over. Those must be birds in this dimension I thought. What are dogs then? Just then a pack of gray slimy faceless dogs came out of the brush. Are they nice? I thought. They started growling and I started running. As they were chasing me I threw a flashlight at them. They scurried away. They must be scared of light I thought. As I was catching my breath I realized that those were dogs, what I saw when I first discovered this was a human. My heart dropped. I heard more distant shrieks. Should I leave, I thought. No, I had to keep going. I had my bat dropped walking toward the shrieks. A big red flash of lighting boomed really close. It's near, I thought. Then I saw them, at least 50 of them running towards me. I had never ran so fast before. I was lost though I didn't know where to go. I was just running and then I saw the rope, that's the portal. They were far enough behind me I slowed to a jog as I jumped out of the portal. I watched them through the portal and they looked mindless. This was such an experience I didn't know what to think. I may go back eventually but not anytime soon.


The author's comments:

This was inspired by one of my favorite shows.