The Bike Ride | Teen Ink

The Bike Ride

By MaxwellMorett BRONZE, White Bear Lake, Minnesota
MaxwellMorett BRONZE, White Bear Lake, Minnesota

I should have known it was a bad idea, but that didn’t stop me. I went down the forbidden trail, near the house all the adults swore to us kids from ever going into, but I broke the rules. Someone made me explore it, I had to know why it was forbidden to go to this lone house. It was 5 minutes until I arrived at the front of the property. I glanced at all the windows but saw nothing. I walked up and knocked on the door, but there was no answer. I turned the creaky door knob and it opened, it actually opened. I walked in the house, “Helllloooooo” I said, thinking it was abandoned. I walked around the bend into the living room, when I saw someone. Sitting in a chair, back turned to me. The person was sleeping. I decided to keep quiet and walk down the staircase just before the living room into the basement. The steps creaked as I walked down, and once I got to the bottom, I froze. I saw the missing posters of every kid that had gone missing the past few years and the set of clothes they went missing in. I wanted to turn back but I couldn’t, suddenly, the door at the top of the steps slammed shut. Someone was walking down. I hid in a closet as the person walked around. They opened the deep closet door and I saw them, the sheer evil in their eyes made me want to scream, but I couldn’t. The person soon left, and I made a run for the door, sprinting up the stairs running and running to my bike. I’ve never ran that quickly so fast. I picked up my bike and pedaled until the edge of the property. I turned back to see a tall man, holding a kitchen knife in his hand, waving to me. I’ve never gone back since. I told the police and an investigation was conducted on the house. They found the remains of the missing kids and I hear he’s getting the death penalty. They also found a list of the kids he had killed and his future victims. I was the next one on the list.