Unrecognizable | Teen Ink

Unrecognizable

By samanthashannon BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky
samanthashannon BRONZE, Somerset, Kentucky

I opened my eyes and glanced around the dark room. A throbbing headache rattled my senses. Stumbling to my feet, I shuffled, attempting to find my balance. I placed my hand on a table next to me, propping myself up. Peering down, I stepped back frantically. Even in the nearly pitch black room, I could see the deep maroon blood covering my hands. Terrified, I scanned around quickly for the door and hastened out. My surroundings were unrecognizable.

In the distance, a row of blackbirds sat atop a power line, the only structure besides the cabin that could be seen for miles. From afar, a faint sound of footsteps touched my ears. My heart quickened as the sound grew closer. A large man with a rifle appeared from the shadows. 

"Hello?" I choked. He did not respond. Behind a tree stood another figure, a girl. Her eyes stared into me. 

"Please help me," She pleaded. I could hear the tears in her voice. She was completely still. "Do something this time. Hurry. Help me." 

"I'm sorry, I don't understand, who are you? What's happening?" I questioned, carefully walking closer to her. She did nothing. 

Before I could process a thought, the man grabbed my shoulders and flung me backwards to the ground. I heard a scream just before the rifle went off. Blackbirds scattered, and eerily, I felt a strong sense of deja vu. I stood myself up as fast as my legs would take me, collapsing next to the girl, applying heavy pressure to her wound. 

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," I cried. "I didn't know he was gonna do that, I'm so sorry, I don't know what to do," I bawled, pushing deeply into the strangers gushing abdomen. Her chest rose and fell one last time, as her eyes clouded over. The sound of footsteps returned to my ears. In a flash, the man jabbed his rifle into my head. 

I opened my eyes and glanced around the dark room. A throbbing headache rattled my senses. Stumbling to my feet, I shuffled, attempting to find my balance. I placed my hand on a table next to me, propping myself up. Peering down, I stepped back frantically. Even in the nearly pitch black room, I could see the deep maroon blood covering my hands.