Something Wicked Is Coming | Teen Ink

Something Wicked Is Coming

By pngtay BRONZE, Dickinson, North Dakota
pngtay BRONZE, Dickinson, North Dakota

Sariyah was a young girl who loved books. She was addicted and was always glued to books. Ever since she was a little girl, every year for Christmas she would ask Santa for books. She would read a series of books in less than a week and was very intelligent. As she grew older, it was time for her to leave for college. She made so many new friends who loved reading as much as her and always gave her new books to read. If you would want to look for Sariyah, she was always in the library. 

“I wonder if what they say about that book is true,” she wonders to herself as she remembers how her friend was telling her about a book that would have her hair rising and spine chilling. She was heading towards the library from her dorm around 10 p.m. because of how curious she was. It was dark outside, and nobody was in the library except for Mr. Snape, the usual librarian. 

“It’s so pleasant to see one of my usual guests,” he says with delight. Sariyah tells him the name of the book, “Something Wicked Is Coming” and he shakes a little. Mr.Snape heads Sariyah towards the horror and mystery side of the library. Sariyah eagerly starts searching for the book, row by row, column by column, in hopes of finding it. Mr. Snape watches her from the corner of his eye, knowing that something wrong is bound to happen. 

Sariyah spends 30 minutes searching for the book but does not seem to find it. She gives up and starts to head out, but Mr.Snape calls her and hands the book to her. 

“Be careful reading this book Sariyah, please,” he tells her with a serious look. She takes the advice and makes her way back to her dorm. 

She rushes to her bed, and makes herself comfortable. She opens the first few pages of the book and starts to read word after word. Sariyah starts feeling chills and voices around her. She gets a bit scared but realizes it is 12 a.m. so she is just probably tired. She slowly closes her eyes as the book is still open on her bed. Completely knocked out, tree veins start to creep out of the book slowly, not stopping. 

Sariyah woke up to the sounds of birds chirping and the sun beaming on her face. She rubs her eyes and starts to sit up, but realizes that she can’t. She panics and looks around and starts to see that veins have surrounded her body and her room. She looks for the source and notices that they are coming from the opened book. Terrified, she chews through the veins slowly escaping from her bed. The veins had taken all over her room and she didn’t understand why. She quickly threw on something to wear and ran to the library. On her way, she tripped, lost her wallet, and almost got crashed over by a car. Finally at the library doors, she pulled but it would not open. Hopeless, she sat down in front of the library crying not understanding what was going on. 

“Sariyah is that you?”, said Mr.Snape as he was holding his keys about to open the doors. Sariyah cries and tells Mr. Snape everything that had happened to her in the morning. The first question he asks her was the time she started reading and she recalled reading around 12 a.m. 

Mr. Snape tells Sariyah, “That is where you made your mistake, I told you to be careful reading this book. Now to end the veins and the bad luck you have to finish reading the whole book in one night. As you continue to read the punishments will get worse and worse, but when you complete it, it will all go away.”

Nodding and listening to his advice, Sariyah carefully goes back home and attempts to finish the book before 12 a.m. Voices surround her, veins move and touch her everywhere, and spirits fill her room. As she reads the last sentence, the veins start creeping back into the book and the spirits swarm back into the book. She boldly closes the book shut and swears to never read another book. 

Sariyah learns that addiction affects the addict and everyone around them.

Name: Rachel 

I am a New Yorker