Essay on E Lockhart’s use of literary elements | Teen Ink

Essay on E Lockhart’s use of literary elements

February 2, 2024
By adakmarks BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
adakmarks BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A character in E. Lockhart’s book once asked, “Do you think a person is as bad as her worst actions?” This is revisited in both novels when examples of betrayal and jealousy are unveiled. In Family of Liars and Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart, the author, uses literary elements to define and strengthen the storyline. She exemplifies the reality of coming from and experiencing wealth by applying irony, allusions, and mood to each book. Lockhart incorporates irony into her books through the use of stereotyping and unawareness of the truth. She also uses allusions to indirectly relate to the character's lives and actions. The author additionally involves mood by setting an atmosphere that shapes the characters and their current thoughts. In general, E. Lockhart uses various literary techniques to build suspense and leave incomplete thoughts that are answered throughout the story.


The first element displayed throughout both novels is irony, where distinct moments are contrasted and ridiculed. This is first evident in Family of Liars when a character remarks on the cluelessness of her privileged relatives. “No one in this family can see what’s right in front of them.” (page 85) Seeing as everything has been handed to them since the dawn of time, it’s ironic how ignorant they act. Another example of this situational irony is when the main character, Carrie, discovers her sister with the man she loves. She grabs a board and attempts to harm them both with it, but only hits the man. It turns out that her sister was being forced on, and she saved her, all the while she was thinking, “I tried to kill my sister.” (page 268) It's unexpected how thankful her sister is following this event considering Carrie was aiming to hurt them both. This technique is also shown in the second book Genuine Fraud when a character known as Immie comments on her mother’s opinion about the perfect life. “My mother believes in the American dream.” (page 32) This arrogant remark is surprising coming from her mother especially considering they are wealthy and don’t know anything outside their sheltered lives. Although Immie was adopted, she still experienced the luxury of the Sokoloff family giving her or her family no reason to expect that everyone bathes in this kind of lifestyle. The last example from Genuine Fraud is at the end of the novel when the protagonist, Jule, acting as another person, is accused of exactly what she did. “The evidence points to you faking your own death in London a couple of months ago, after which you transferred your money to her and took over her identity.” (page 257) What's ironic about this is that Jule has actually assumed Imogen’s identity and has taken it over so well that even a detective is convinced of who she is. Overall, E. Lockhart uses irony to impact the plot and enhance the comparison between things. 


The next technique Lockhart utilizes is the effects of allusions and their relation to each story. The first example of this is shown when Carrie compares herself to Cinderella, being done up and made to fit her family’s appearance. “Like me, Cinderella is made over from deformity to beauty and social elevation. Her new appearance is my new appearance.” (page 56) This directly ties into Carrie’s life because her parents pressured her into getting jaw surgery to depict the Sinclair image. Her mom was pregnant before she met her dad and therefore she looked different from her other sisters. That’s why her dad strongly believed in the transformation so that his daughter would look just like his own. Another mention of allusions is conveyed in the end when Carrie comes to agree with herself that she has changed and now relates more to a liar than ever before. “I am Cinderella’s stepsister. I am the ghost whose crime went unpunished.” (page 295) This comparison is significant because she has grown to become the villain of every story she has connected with. From first feeling like an outsider, to now a real part of the family, but only if she can keep a secret. There are also many examples of allusions in the second book, Genuine Fraud, where secrets are revealed throughout the novel. One specific instance is shown towards the beginning of the book when Jule is talking to an accomplice and he brings up a story called The Winter’s Tale. “He tried to poison his friend, he threw his own wife in prison, and he abandoned his baby in the wilderness.” (page 76) This relates with Jule because it emphasizes all the horrible stuff she's done in the past, and how she easily covered it up. Similar to the villain in the book The Winter’s Tale, she has no disregard for anything or anyone else and will quickly move on and proceed with her life. The last example of an allusion in the two books appears on a normal day when Jule encounters a quote that her whole life is practically shaped by. “The important thing is this: to be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we could become. -Charles de Bos” (page 237) This quote demonstrates that Jule would do anything to get to the top, and live a life of luxury. Including getting rid of anyone who undermined or tossed her aside after they were done with her. All in all, the use of allusions in E. Lockhart’s writing shapes and portrays the characters' lives through altered fictional stories that indirectly describe them.


The last literary element displayed in E. Lockhart’s writing is the powerful use of mood. The author applies mood throughout the book to strengthen and visually describe the setting of each event. The first way the mood was introduced was when the main character described her family as unphased by her sister's death. “Now Rosemary was dead and it seemed like both of my sisters had forgotten her entirely.” (page 18) Carrie felt upset that her siblings and parents plastered on smiles despite what had happened because the Sinclairs never let their feelings show. This contributes to the mood in the reason that it feels eerie and creates a sadder, darker atmosphere overall. Another example of mood from Family of Liars is shown when Carrie commits a heinous crime and her sisters help her cover it up, showing their devotion to protecting their sister. “I was startled to witness my sisters’ unquestioning loyalty. I knew I was only half theirs, only half a Sinclair, and yet they stood next to me in this crisis as if the three of us were one.” (page 269) This quote from the book contrasts the beginning to end of how Carrie feels about not being fully part of the family. This softens the mood because she finally realizes that her sisters would go to the end for her, even if it meant covering up murder. It also contradicts Carrie from beginning to end, it reveals the ugly and true. Carrie has become exactly what she was afraid of, a liar. The mood is also shown in the second book, Genuine Fraud when Jule thinks about telling her friend everything that happened but resists. “She wanted to reveal her past to him in its ugliness and beauty, its courage and complexity.” 

(page 76) This leaves the reader wondering what she is talking about, as the book is written in jumbled chapters, creating both suspense and a mysterious mood. The next quote is from when Jule commits her first serious crime, and the scene is described through vivid words that paint a picture. “When the sea grew dark and deep, when they were well outside the traveled way between Culebra and Culebrita, Jule untied the rope and let Imogen go. The body sank very, very slowly.” (page 176) This moment in the book describes Jule’s first encounter with the truth, she had to do whatever needed to keep herself up. The gravity of this situation is shown through the distinct style of writing that Lockhart applies to create the mood. Altogether, E Lockhart, the author of Family of Liars and Genuine Fraud, uses mood to create an atmosphere in each scene that gives the reader a visual of what is going on.


In conclusion, Lockhart uses various literary techniques, such as irony, allusions, and mood to deepen the plot and add suspense to the story. She applies irony by comparing stereotypes and the cluelessness that wealthy people possess. Also, E. Lockhart incorporates allusions that indirectly relate to the characters. Lastly, she uses mood to create a visual atmosphere that strengthens the story. In the end, E. Lockhart leaves the readers guessing what will happen next, and if what appears to be happening, is really what is going on.