The Mysterious Stranger | Teen Ink

The Mysterious Stranger

By Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania
Zero_K DIAMOND, Moosic, Pennsylvania

"Life's no fun if you're not insane, otherwise you grow up to be an accountant." -Moi

The air had a certain stillness to it, a chill that seeped through my heavy blue peacoat. There were no cars along the road as I walked home that night, nor pedestrians, save a single man, standing under the lamppost at the corner. He wore a long black trench coat and his face disappeared within the shadow of a black hat. He was perfectly still except for the bottom corner of his coat pulled aside by the wind, revealing black slacks.

The aloneness was reason enough to make any woman paranoid, but the stranger intrigued rather than frightened me. Did he have a wife and kids at home? Was he a secret agent working for the government? Was he just a simple working man, walking home from work as I was. Or a drifter, moving from town to town to escape painful memories, or the scene of a crime committed years ago?

After a time, the stranger moved on, and I, in the other direction, did the same. I wondered why he had stopped at that particular lamppost. Was he waiting for someone, and had given up on their showing up? Or was he too, thinking of the mysterious stranger.

singinginthegardn GOLD, Cowell, Massachusetts

"The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say." ~Anaïs Nin

I agree with SharpestSatire. That was so intense for being so cropped. I would add more!? Thanks <3

Really really good for something so short. Please write more!

Lia Newman SILVER, Lake Oswego, Oregon
I think this story is wonderful! I love the idea of having 2 perspectives, the man and the man across the street. It's very exciting and written in great detail that really pulled me in. I'm trying to find an error in your story, but it seems perfect the way it is.

Best wishes

Lia N

Onceknown BRONZE, Denver, Colorado

Courage is doing what your afraid to do
There can be no courage unless your scared
-Eddie Rickerbacker

I think that this writing is called Flash Fiction and I think it is beautiful written

i have a quick question what inspried you to write this story? it was a intresting story. i was wanting to read more cause it was well writen and i thought of it like it was almost happing to me. GOOD JOB

tor10jax GOLD said...
tor10jax GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
It was well written and the last sentence was perfect. The only thing is I found the naarator's thoughts as being sort of random and cliche.

Keep writing!

Electricity PLATINUM, Bradenton, Florida
Cryptic... it makes me wand to read on, but there's nothing to read! Great job!

Sydney(: BRONZE, N/a, New Hampshire
Wow. That was.. great. I am near speechless. The adjectives that you used were phenomenal! I could feel the wind that lifted the strangers coat.

And the way that you ended this was really great. It just took my breath away !

It was short, so at first I didn't know how good it would be, but once I started I was hooked. It was beautifully written! Well done!

Check out some of my work!

~Sydney