Things Better Left Un-Seen | Teen Ink

Things Better Left Un-Seen

By Eiscube SILVER, Temecula, California
Eiscube SILVER, Temecula, California

Eleven years earlier

Iris looked down on her parents, their bodies lay helplessly abandoned on the white hospital bed. Cuts and scars lined their faces with dark red dried blood covering different parts at them. Their eyes staring up at the ceiling, never to look at their six-year-old daughter again, their six-year-old daughter who was now an orphan.
A woman came in the room; she had a dark blue police outfit on, blond frizzy hair and black glasses. She looked at the bed where Iris’s parents sat and then at little Iris who was standing in the corner, tears streaming down her cheeks and onto the white tile below. Her dark hair covering most of her face, and her lavender eyes stared up at the policewoman.
“Iris Matton?” The woman asked.
Iris shook her head and sniffled.
The woman came over and hugged the little girl, “You’re going to come with me, okay. Everything is going to be all right.”
Iris shook her head again in agreement.
“We are going to take you to this really nice foster home.” She whispered, “You’ll like it there.” The woman put her hand out and Iris took it, getting up and walking out of the room with the policewoman, thinking she had lost her parents for forever, but that was far from the truth. Iris hadn’t known they had followed her from that room on terrible day.

* * * * *

This is when my life began to fly and fall. Even love can’t protect you from the worst people. When dreams turn to nightmares and reality shatters before you like a big rock being thrown at a mirror and being broken into a thousand pieces never to be put back together.

Chapter 1

I walked down the halls with my new principal on that warm Tuesday morning at the start of junior year. It was just junior year, a new school, a new family, nothing special. I will change soon, the family won’t want me, because they are frightened of me. I thought as I walked down the halls, cold, silver lockers lined the walls, the flickering of the usually luminescent school lights reflected off the large tiles that lined the floor. The dark wooden classroom doors stood in their little corners, little windows on them. The smell of sweat, food, dirt, and freebrez wafted through the halls. A normal school, a normal day, a normal family who thinks I’m normal.
The principal’s bald head lay in front of me, the fluorescent lights shining off of it. He was short and stubby with a black coat and red tie. I followed the small man through the school, he was giving me the tour of the school, and I was pretending that I cared. When he turned I would shake my head and just agree with him.
We were almost done when a cold wind swept through me and I felt him there, watching me.
The hissing of his breath echoed in my ears and I tried desperately to hear the principal, but could barely hear my own thoughts. Suddenly the principal left waving his hand and smiling, not knowing what was happening to me and I was left standing confused in the hallway, of my new school.
I turned to who I expected to see, standing in front of me was my father, his black hair and green eyes stared down at me and he smiled, but I could not smile, because the feeling of him in general was terrible. I also could not smile, because he and my mother and other ghost have been haunting me for three years now, and I left no love towards them or anyone.
He opened his mouth to say something, but only a faint howling came from it, a howling that felt like nails on a chalkboard. I covered my ears and walked quickly away, but I knew he would follow me, because he always did, and the beginning of a new high school wouldn’t change anything.
As I sped around the corner trying to get away from my supernatural stockers, I didn’t notice that it wasn’t a corner at all and ran right into a defiantly solid wall.
I stumbled backwards, as my head felt like it was going to burst and back up into somebody that was defiantly human. The person grabbed my upper arms and spun me slightly, which sent colors and stars sparkling in front of my eyes, but I could still see…. slightly.
A man that looked about forty with blond hair and gray eyes had hold of me. The man looked at me curiously.
“Santa bid you good day?” The man said, but it was not a statement it was more of a question.
All I could say to this, deciding that the man was crazy, was, “What,” which actually came out like, “Woott?” My words were slurred and senseless.
The man looked at me as concern struck his face. “We need to eat your face.” He said slowly and carefully like I was unstable.
The cold air was suddenly there again and standing behind the man was a little girl, who looked about the age of five, she was holding a teddy bear in her arms and staring at me with brown curly hair and pasty blue eyes.
I began to try and back away from her wanting to run, but the man was holding me there, and a wall lay behind me.

The little girl opened her mouth, but instead of the high pitched screaming and howling I thought I was going to hear a sweet sound came from her lips, “Help me.” She whispered in her little voice and her eyes suddenly went black, and blood began to pulse from her chest. Falling to the floor and shimmering in the dingy hallway lights, the blood began to pool around and she staggered forward, her teddy bear falling to the floor and splashing into the blood.
“Help me.” She said again and then she fell to the floor. I closed my eyes and tried to look away, but seconds later I looked one more time at were she was, or had been a minute ago. The girl was no longer there and neither was her blood that had been pooling all over the floor.
I was used to things like that, considering I encountered them everyday, but I still didn’t like it.
I had seen so much, so much blood, so many deaths. It was nerve racking, only one person could take so much death.
That is when I noticed that I was trembling terrible and my breath was heavy.
I remembered the man standing in front of me and turned to him, he looked very concerned and almost a little scared and that’s when I lost all notions of everything and I felt my body fall forward.

Fredwardness SILVER, Romeo, Michigan

"The stars are blazing like rebel diamonds cut out of the sun" -The Killers (Read My Mind)

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -George Harrison

I agree with Layla...this is amazing and...just wow. I love it.

LaylaViolet said...
on Sep. 24 2009 at 11:54 am
OM freaking G! That was totally heart-stopping. You're a very good suspenseful writer. I hope you write more stuff. ;)