Tonight They Come... (Page 1) | Teen Ink

Tonight They Come... (Page 1)

September 25, 2009
By music_lover PLATINUM, Park City, Utah
music_lover PLATINUM, Park City, Utah
25 articles 0 photos 51 comments

Favorite Quote:
MY quote: "Without music, life would be absolutely pointless.... Music is my life and it always will be!"


I lie awake on my old creaky bed as I stared at the stucco ceiling of my room. The torn and rough red blankets against my skin felt like sandpaper. I was curled up in a ball, trying to keep the cold air from intruding my special warmth underneath. The air smelled old and dusty as I breathed in slow, but heavy breaths as I tried to calm myself. There was no way that I was going to be able to sleep tonight. There was no way that I would be able to fully calm myself, for tonight was the night. They were coming...

The flickering street lights barely shimmered through my dusty window. The street was empty. Not a sole in sight. I squinted to see the old abandoned building across the street from my house. Every time the streetlight flickered out, my room was left in complete darkness, and my heart would start to race. When the streetlight flickered back on I would sigh, and again, try to calm myself. I continued to stare at the tan ceiling as I waited. Waiting for them to come was pure torture. Why couldn’t they just come and get it over with?

In the corner of my room in front of my closet sat my packed backpack. My bags contained everything I would need for tonight. I had my matches, a blanket, toothbrush, hairbrush, a few T-shirts, an extra pair of socks, jeans, and a sweatshirt. I also had some unnecessary belongings like my book, a notebook, pencil, and three candy bars that I still had from Christmas. I was ready. I could do this. But at the same time, I was not ready to forget this place. I was not sure if I could handle this. After tonight, my life would be changed forever.

Continuing to stare at the ceiling, I listened for the sound I was waiting all night to hear. But instead I heard my sister snoring in the room next door. She slept with my parents. Ever since she found out about this night, she slept with my parents. She was afraid. I was afraid. My parents were afraid. But my grandpa, he was never afraid. He could do anything without any second thoughts. Papa is what I call him. I love Papa; he is always there for me.

The author's comments:
This story is very deep and personal. Some of the characters remind me of people in real life. This story is a little bit violent and sad... but I really like it. It's full of emotion that I felt when I wrote it.