THE GAME | Teen Ink

THE GAME

By WintersRevenge PLATINUM, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
WintersRevenge PLATINUM, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

"Yay! I love being purple!" ~Patrick Star, Spongebob Squarepants

It started when she was no more than five years old. A shy but sweet little girl, whose mahogany-coloured curls were always tied up in a rose pink ribbon behind her head; whose soft, pale, pearly skin was always dressed in the brightest white lace dresses; whose petite, uncalloused hands always held either her favourite porcelain doll or her white kitten with the emerald eyes. While the other children romped around in the lush green fields in the tiny town they shared, the little girl just sat on the hill that overlooked the “playground” of the smiling boys and girls playing tag. Her sky-blue eyes would search the children’s faces, looking for just the right person. Her first pick was the four-year-old girl named Madeleine.

For a month, the girl watched over Madeleine, observing her every move from atop her little hill. Finally, Madeleine looked up, noticing the frail child for the first time. She watched as the peculiar girl lifted a delicate finger to her rosy lips and motioned for Madeleine to follow. As Madeleine slowly trudged up the hill, the girl turned on her heel and began to walk away from view. Not willing to be left out, Madeleine quickly scrambled up the knoll. But as she approached the top, the girl who had invited her to tag along was skipping down the other side, doll in hand, into the deep woods.

Madeleine stopped. Her mother had cautioned her many times not to venture into the forest, for there were wolves and bears and many other dangers awaiting small children within its depths. But her want to befriend the mysterious girl made her forget her mother’s warnings and clumsily tumble down the other side of the hill where to the entrance of the woods. She sprinted into the forest to catch up to the girl, but once inside, she could not find her. She followed the light-hearted laugh that sounded like it was right in front of her deeper and deeper into the treacherous woods. She called and called for the girl to come back, but the only reply she got was the same laugh that had lured her into this place. Exhausted and frustrated, Madeleine turned to exit the forest, but found herself hopelessly lost. And dinnertime was soon. Her mother would become very cross with Madeleine if she did not arrive for supper on time.

The sun was setting, and light was scarce. Madeleine became more and more frantic as she rushed to find a way out of the woods. She called for help, but there was no reply. Except for the laugh. That eerie, haunting laugh of a little girl playing a game. “LEAVE ME ALONE!!!” Madeleine screamed, tears streaming down her flushed cheeks. She ran through the thick brush, thorns grabbing at her pink dress that was torn and stained with dirt. As the laugh grew louder, so did Madeleine’s fear. Her foot got caught in a hidden root, and she fell to the ground. She screamed at the pain in her left wrist that had broken when she put out her hands to catch her fall. She was lost. She was hurt. And she feared for her life. She gingerly fingered her broken wrist and got up to her feet. And screamed.

In front of her was the little girl, who had, instead of the doll, a sharp, reflective blade in her hand.

“Yay!” cried the girl happily. “I win!”

TO BE CONTINUED…

AmazingAmy SILVER, Spartanburg, South Carolina

"The moment comes when a character does or says something that I hadn't thought about. At that moment he's alive and I leave it to him." -Graham Greene

This was great! Very creepy ending. By the way, I have a sudden attraction to your phrase "romped around". Great word choice. I don't know I liked it.