Black Glass | Teen Ink

Black Glass

By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

I pressed my hand against the cool, tranquil glass. My reflection was barely recognizable through the fluorescent glares gleaming off the sheet of glass. Closing my eyes, I could feel the blood pulsating through my veins, and I could feel the glass start to warm up. On the other side of the glass was a figure, much taller than me, whose hand was mirrored exactly as mine except on the opposite side. The warmth stretched up and captivated each and every nerve cell up through my neck. Soon enough, my entire body was numb and my eyes were locked on the figure's. My head rolled from shoulder to shoulder, and I felt a rush of adrenaline flood my body. A ghost of a smile was placed on the figure's face, and then a black sheet was thrown over my head.

This was originally posted anonymously... by me. (: Through symbolism, you could interpret the figure as drugs or the effect of them, but taking it literally is just as fine. (:

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks for the feedback! I will take your advice and develop this story more.

kamkit BRONZE said...
kamkit BRONZE, Ventura, California
I really like the idea behind this story that you talked about, it fits really well with what I was picturing anyways. I think you could make this a little longer by adding more imagery and characterizing the 'figure' and the effect on the narrator a little more clearly (I wasn't sure if the smile was mailicous or benevolent, or anything else). The use of glass was a good idea, as it representing reflection inside oneself. Enjoyed reading this :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks for the feedback!

SkippyPeanutbutter SILVER, Utrecht, Other

"Happiness can be found, even at the darkest of times. If one only remembers to turn on the light." -Albus Dumbledore
"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one, eh?" -the Eleventh Doctor

I like that this piece keeps you thinking long after you've read it. It's mysterious and dark and really well written, without excessive length. 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you so much (:

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

This is really powerful! The crystal clear imagery is breathtaking!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you! I'll definitely take your advice into consideration. thank you for commenting!

KnitsandPurls GOLD, Mahtomedi, Minnesota

"I cannot live without books"
--Thomas Jefferson

Good Work! This is a good example of a story that is powerful without having much plot. Every detail is powerful. There are no unnecessary sentences to trim. If anything, I would add a bit about who this hooded figure is. (Though this is not strictly necessary.) Very, very, good work. --KnitsAndPurls