Sinister Nightmare | Teen Ink

Sinister Nightmare

March 22, 2013
By zianourry72310 BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania
zianourry72310 BRONZE, Fredericksburg, Pennsylvania
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It was 3:00 in the morning and Isabelle was home alone like a normal Friday night. Her mom always worked night shift at the hospital from Friday to Saturday and she didn’t really care all too much except that every Friday night at 3 in the morning, she’d hear a noises. Not any normal everyday noises, but like.. not normal sounds.

One night she heard a lawnmower and a child screaming and crying. It had to have been a child because they were crying and screaming for their mom. Another night she heard people screaming and then a splash.

She was broken from her thoughts when she heard a dog barking and then a gun shot. A few minutes later she heard more people screaming and talking to someone.. Someone named Kyle. She pulled her knees to her chest and started sobbing quietly before she heard her own name.

She got up and walked over to the door. She peered through the small crack out into the hallway. Nothing, but a pitch black, dark hallway except for a projector in the middle of the emptiness. It was playing a video on the wall. Exactly what she heard.

By the end of the video, there was some guy in a black and white mask, peering into the camera. Isabelle jumped back, more tears falling. She ran back to her bed and hid under the covers until her mom came home.

The next day went pretty well. She had slept for the rest of the night when she actually did fall asleep and now her mom was home. She wasn’t planning on telling her mom about the night before because she wouldn’t believe her. She never did. So, she kept quiet as she went through her normal day: Breakfast, homework, lunch, hanging out with friends, dinner, and then back to bed.
She hoped the projector would be play tonight so her mom could see that what she was saying was true, but she should’ve hoped for something different.
That night the video did play, but when she made her way out into the hallway and down towards her mom’s room, she wasn’t there. She whimpered as she backed up and back out of the hallway. She looked around and noticed that same face in the video again, but of course, it was a different scenario.
She turned around to run out of the house, but was stopped by the unknown figure form the video. She screamed and ran back into her room, closing the door behind her. She ran to her window and opened it up and stepped out onto the roof. She slid to the edge and slipped off into the yard.
She looked around and noticed blood coming from the shed. She dared not look inside, instead running off down the street, towards the nearby police station. “Help! Someone help!” She screamed, but heard no sound. Was she even screaming at all? This was all like a bad dream. A terrible dream where she couldn’t breathe or speak no matter how hard she tried.
The unknown figure kept following her and she kept crying as she tripped and felt someone grab her foot from behind. She was waiting for the knife he had in his hand to dig into her back, but nothing happened. She tried to scream again and this time she heard herself. “Help! Someone call the police!” She screamed as she pulled her leg free from what was in fact just a tree branch and continued to run.
She wasn’t paying attention and she soon fell into a hole. A deep, dark hole where she kept falling until she was woken from her nightmare. She looked around. She was safe and sound on her bed, in her bedroom. She got up and crept down the hallway towards her mom’s room. She walked inside and left out a content sigh as she saw her mom sleeping.
She turned around and almost screamed when she saw a figure, but they walked over to her and put a hang on her mouth before she could. She looked at the figure more now that he was close enough to touch her and she pulled his hand away from her mouth.
It was her ex-boyfriend and current best guy friend, Hunter. “You idiot! You scared me half to death.” She muttered, walking off towards her room again. “I’m sorry.. I was just joking around..” He whispered and followed her. “Well, if you haven’t noticed, it’s not funny.. So, were the videos you, too?” He nodded.
“Sorry. Yeah they were. But I found them.. Didn’t make them.” He clarified. Her breath hitched in her throat. “So, then who made them?” She asked herself. “I don’t know. They were in the attack.” She shrugged. “We’ll talk to the police tomorrow then.. I’m sure they’re just a bunch of kids playing pranks on people.. maybe?”
She shrugged and slipped back under her covers and he sat on the edge of the bed, smiling. “I missed you, Isa.” He said. “We see each other every day, Hunter.” She giggled. “No, I mean like.. Miss you.. Miss us..” He looked away and she smiled softly.
“I missed you, too.. But things are different now. I’m with Scott and-” “I know.” He cut her off. “I just.. wanted you to know. It’s not like I’m asking you to forgive me. I’m the idiot who cheated remember? I’m just.. Saying.”
She nodded. “I know.. Thanks.” She said as she threw the covers off and crawled over to him to give him a hug. “What happened to your ankle?” He asked, furrowing his eyebrows. She turned around and looked at. “I’m .. I’m not sure..” She said as she sat down and pulled it to the front of her body to get a better look.

That night went pretty well with Hunter there and no scary noises being heard. The next morning, they hung out some more and went down to the park to hang out. She could’ve sworn she felt someone staring at her, but when she turned around, there was no one there.

“H-Hunter?” She asked. “Yeah, babe?” He asked, looking at her. She looked around the park, but there was no one around. “Nothing..” She said as the day dragged on and by the time it got dark, they headed back home.

She figured she was getting paranoid because when they got home she felt like someone was watching her again. She paid no mind to it and crawled into bed. She was on the phone with Hunter as she looked around her room and out the window; she let out a sigh of relief. She was glad to feel safer and as long as Hunter stayed talking to her, she’d forget about everything. One thing she should’ve done though, was check underneath the bed before turning out the light.