Masks | Teen Ink

Masks

By Allie710 BRONZE, Meadow Vista, California
Allie710 BRONZE, Meadow Vista, California

I felt an extreme rush of adrenaline as a man I didn’t know pushed the liquid from a needle into my veins. My vision blurred slightly, then focused onto a face I don’t recognize. As my eyes focused more, I could see that the person was wearing a mask. He handed me a mask identical to his and said “Put it on. This is you now.” I could feel whatever was coursing through my veins now. I held the mask in my hands. My mind fogged.
.

My head throbbed. It felt like someone had taken a bat to my head. I struggled to lift my heavy eyelids. I lifted my hands into view, I couldn’t process what I saw. Trying to wrap my head around it, I then realized what I had done. My hands were covered in warm, sticky, red blood. I looked around the room, trying to focus my eyes. I saw lifeless bodies all around me. This couldn’t have been me. It couldn’t be. I heard a key enter the doorknob, I was scared for my life. Panic and shock filled my body. The door opened and it was the same man in the mask. When I saw his mask, I remembered that I was still wearing the one he gave me. I pulled it off over my head, and looked at the awful face looking back at me. Anger pulsed through me. Looking over at the man, I threw my mask on the ground and screamed, “Where the hell am I?! What have you done to me and these people?! And who are you?!” He looked at me blankly and tilted his head to the side as if he didn’t understand.

“SERIOUSLY. You won’t get away with this. I’m calling the police.” As I tried to run and leave, he grabbed my shoulders with a piercing grip. It had felt like knives were going through my shoulder. I looked at his hands. He had grown his nails long and sharpened them to a point. His fingernails dripped with my blood as he threw me down onto a table and strapped me to it. “You were bad boy. We make sure no happen again.” he said with a struggle for words. He takes the mask and holds it to my face. “Yes... perfect fit.” he says as he grabs a needle with fairly thin string tied to it. Holding the sharp needle to the leather mask, he poked a hole through it. Smiling, he snickered, “This won't hurt no bit.”

My screams silenced only his laughter, and only went out as far as outside the house. The needle seemed to take forever to slide through my skin, and then followed by the knot and the string. I couldn’t tell how many stitches there have been, I think I’m in shock. The very last thing I remember was him... injecting my arm with the same drug...