Fates Dilemma | Teen Ink

Fates Dilemma

By Rainsong SILVER, Vancouver, Washington
Rainsong SILVER, Vancouver, Washington

One day Fate faced a dilemma... She didn't know whether to infuse creativity or intelligence into the minds of the beings to populate earth. So she created two souls named Sinesio, meaning the intelligent one, and Adwin, meaning the creative one. She placed these two souls on earth, and when they would meet they would prove who was better, as they both were to be mightily competitive.

Sinesio was out cataloging native plant species when he first saw Adwin. A quite foolish looking man in his opinion, as he had pencils and pens overflowing every pocket, and so he took an automatic dislike to him.
Adwin in turn found Sinesio quite odd. Why, in fact, was he watching the weeds growing out from the side walk? But his mind was soon thinking of other things as his attention span waned. When his morning walk brought him closer to Sinesio he found it only polite to ofer a good morning to the man.

Morning, thought Sinesio, it was after noon. "Well, good afternoon to you mr...."? Sinesio trailed off. "You can call me Adwin, what may I refer to as you"? Adwin questioned. "Sinesio" he murmured reluctantly, not quite happy to have someone like him knowing his name.

After a few moments of uncomfortable silence Sinesio had to ask. "Why oh mr. Adwin are your pockets overflowing with writing utensils"? He asked with a disapproving frown. "Why do you do you ask"? Asked Adwin, not seeing why he would ask, as everyone knew what pens and pencils were for. "Well..." Began Sinesio feeling miffed, "I think that it looks quite foolish" he said. The two argued until they noticed the sun falling down over the horizon.

The next morning they met again and Adwin asked Sinesio why he watched plants. "Well I would need to understand plants in order to survive if our food source was ever unavailable" Sinesio replied inquisitively. "Ha, I doubt you would last a week in the woods without my genius" retorted Adwin.

"So let there be a wager" said Sinesio "whom ever returns to this spot first after spending one day and one night the woods shall be declared the winner". The two men shook hands and marched purposefully off into the forest without a forethought of the danger.

Fate watched with a knowing smile on her face as the two fell unknowingly into her experiment.

The sun was inevitably setting when Sinesio decided to find shelter. He saw but rocks and trees and had ho idea as to how to create a roof. He had a small canister he had filled with water and some edible plants he had found when traveling. But now it had started to rain and wished for Adwin to come and create a shelter, for the temperature was dropping by the minute.

Meanwhile Adwin was facing troubles of his own. His stomach rumbled as he looked at the shiny, black, tantalizing berries hanging inches from his fingers. He remembered Sensio telling him how some were deadly to them and that was one of the reasons he 'watched' plants, and wished he were here now to guid him. An hour later he conceded to the hunger and proceeded to stuff as many in his mouth as he could, savoring the sweet taste of the berries.

By morning Sinesio fingers were turning a delicate shade of blue and he could tell hypothermia was setting in, he cursed Adwin as he tried to lift himself off the ground to get help. His stiff jerky movements made him ungraceful and he tripped often. He then stumbled and landed in a ditch where he lay unable to move for another night until he perished.

What about Adwin, you ask. Well he never awoke in his cozy little shelter he built when he came upon the perfect leaves to form a roof. In fact those berries had been the deadly nightshade. And in the amounts in which he had eaten them had sealed his fate.

Fate pondered this with a frown. Neither of them had survived. But, she thought, they could have if they had had each others help. Fate thought on this for many days until coming to a conclusion. The beings she fashioned would need both creativity and intelligence in order to survive. She placed Adwin's creativity on the right side of their brain and Sinesio intelligence on the left, knowing all the while that they would still never be quite perfect.