Alive or just breathing? | Teen Ink

Alive or just breathing?

He jumped off the bridge and there was nothing to stop him. I got his message twenty minutes after he left it. He said “He couldn’t live like this anymore but I need to tell you something before I go, I love you.This will probably be the last time you will ever hear me. Goodbye.” I couldn’t believe it. My best friend in the entire world was about to commit suicide. I knew he was depressed but I didn’t know it was this bad. I didn’t have time to think, I needed to find him. “Where would he go” I asked myself, suddenly I knew where he would go. We met on a bridge a little outside of New York, I had a flat tire and no one stopped to help me until he came along, since then we’ve been inseparable. I ran to my car and drove as fast as I could surprisingly I didn’t get pulled over. As I got there I could see him; the guy I’ve loved for four years. He was almost over the edge. I got out and ran to his side. But it was too late, he let go. As he was falling to his death, I fell to my knees whispering “I love you too.”