Dream Vacation | Teen Ink

Dream Vacation

By Destinee Griffin BRONZE, Paragould, Arizona
Destinee Griffin BRONZE, Paragould, Arizona

Dream Vacation

Carly, Kristyn, and Kaytlin were so excited for their week-long vacation. They were going to California for their senior trip. All three of them had been getting ready for months.
“Guys, I cannot wait to get there! This is going to be so much fun,” said Carly.
“It seems like we have been waiting for years,” replied Kristyn as they made their way to the terminal. As they were saying their final goodbyes, Kaytlin noticed something out of the corner of her eye. It was two strange men. One giving the other money in exchange for something that Kaytlin could not recognize.
“Uh… I,” she stammered as she watched the men.
“What is it?” her mom quickly questioned. Not wanting her parents to worry, she answered, “Nothing. It is nothing.” They began to board the plane. This was the first time Kristyn had ridden a plane and she was very nervous.
Carly and Kristyn had seats together while Kaytlin sat two rows ahead. As the girls were making their way to the seats, Kaytlin noticed one of the two men board the plane behind them. She sat quickly and nervously straightened her back. She watched as the man sat on the opposite side and thirteen rows behind her.
“Are you okay?” the lady next to Kaytlin asked, “you look pale and extremely sick.”
She smiled, “Yes ma’am. I am fine, thank you for asking.” As soon as everyone got seated and buckled, the pilot began to speak. 
“Thank you for boarding flight 263 from Maine to California. Our estimated arrival time is 4 p.m., flight time around six hours. We try to provide the safest and easiest flight for our passengers.” Kaytlin looked back at her friends with a shy smile and two weak thumbs up.
Carly sluggishly opened her eyes and looked at her phone. Three hours. She glanced around to see that about a quarter of the people asleep. Kaytlin was wide awake. There was no she was going to close her eyes with that man twenty feet away from her.
The odd man stood up and began walking toward the front of the plane. He walked into the restroom and did not come out for about five minutes. When he came out he held something shiny in his hand. He dashed toward a man in the third row with a knife in his hand. From two rows back, it looked as though the knife was hidden in his belt buckle. Everyone gasped as they watched the man stab who seemed to be the Air Marshall in the throat.
He is dead. Kaytlin ran back to where her friends sat. Shaking, she said, “I saw him in the terminal with another man making an exchange.” Her friends were watching too carefully to respond. Carly, Kristyn, and Kaytlin watched with arms enclosed around each other. The man took a gun from the Armed Air Marshall that he had just killed, pointed the gun towards the frightened passengers, and demanded to the pilot, “Take this plane to Mexico or I kill them all!”