Dead Man Rising | Teen Ink

Dead Man Rising

By Levi McMinn BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
Levi McMinn BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas

In 1901, there was this famous robber his name was Billy Roberts. Billy and his gang of misfits would rob banks every, where. One day Billy and his gang were on this job where they rob this bank, but every, thing goes horribly wrong.        “Billy, we are all set for the job,” said Billy’s right hand man Joe.
Billy then said, “Alright lets ride.”
Billy led the gang into the bank guns a blazing. Then Sheriff Langston and his men showed up and killed some of Billy’s men. There were brains and blood every, where. In all the blood shed Billy snuck out the back of the bank. Sheriff Langston saw Billy and took off after him. Billy and Langston exchange a few shots with each other than one bullet stopped it all. Billy was wounded pretty badly. He was shot in the neck and was bleeding every, where. Before he died he said, “I’ll come back for you Langston and your family, I will!”
“I’ll believe it when I see it,” said Langston with a hardy laugh.
100 years later a farmer named Ben Langston was harvesting his corn crop, and Halloween was just around the corner. Suddenly the wind picked up, Ben looked around to see if he could see a storm coming up but didn’t see anything. Then out of the corner of his eye he saw a ghostly looking figure with guns by his side and money in his hands.
Later that night when Ben was at home he searched up the town’s history. He read
about Billy Roberts and His great grandfather which was the sheriff at the time. Ben read to his wife what Billy had said to his grandfather. When he read what it said, Ben’s wife said, “It sounds like this family has an enemy to take care of.”
“Yes it does,” said Ben.
“What are you going to do about it,” said Ben’s wife.
“Well to start off I don’t even think it is real,” Ben replied.
“And if it is real what are you going to do about it.” Ben’s wife replied quickly. Ben took a minute to think off the top of his head and all he came up with is to find the grave and burn it
The next day out in the field been saw an odd figure hobbling around his field he was working in. Ben thought it was one of his workers moving something out of the way in the field. After a little while the figure disappeared and didn’t come back. Ben turned on the radio in his cab and the radio announcer said, “If you are hearing this there has been a dead body found with chunks of it gone.”
When Ben got home that evening he told his wife what had happened today. They turned on the television to see what the news had to say. All they got from them was a picture of what the figure looked like. Ben said to his wife, “That looks like the picture of Billy that was on the internet.”
“Yea except without all the dirt, blood, and brains all over him,” said Ben’s wife.
Ben thought of his plan that could kill Billy forever. Ben finally put together the trap around his grave, and all that was missing was Billy to come back to his grave. Ben found an old picture of his grandfather and used it to lure Billy back to his grave. When Billy was back at his grave, Ben had people with flamethrowers to torch the place up. After the grave was burnt to  a black crisp they all slept a little easier that night.