The Unexpected Cliffhanger | Teen Ink

The Unexpected Cliffhanger

October 13, 2014
By himynameispresley BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
himynameispresley BRONZE, Paragould, Arkansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Unexpected Cliffhanger
Corey Reed is a social outcast. He gets bullied everyday at school. They like to make fun of him and hurt him. It’s nothing too serious. It really wouldn’t bother him as much if his life at home wasn’t so bad. Ever since his mom died seven years ago, his dad has taken his anger out on him. The only temporary prescription for his depression are his too friends, Michael and Allie. Corey usually woke up to his dad yelling at him as usual. He hated Fridays. The day that led to two whole days of endless neglect, but this was the weekend that everything would change.
When Corey got to school he made his way to the cafeteria for breakfast. He hated the food they “cooked”, but his dad never bothered to buy groceries, so he had to eat what was offered. He sat down at the table by Allie and Michael and spoke, “You guys have any plans for the weekend?”.
“Nope, you want to come over?” Michael replied.
“I can’t,” he answered.
“You can come to the movies with me if you want,” said Allie. She felt sorry for him not having a good high-school experience. He looked at her and laughed.
At lunch the three were sitting at a table together and saw someone walking toward them. It was a guy named Chris. He was six feet six inches and towered over them. He was like a giant compared to them.
He looked right at Corey and asked him, “Are you going to eat that sandwich?” Of course he was going to “eat that sandwich”. Corey was broke so that would be the closest thing to a meal he’d have all weekend. Before he could answer Chris had already walked of with his sandwich.
Eighth period, Corey made his way to the band room. Ninth period, he decided to skip science and stayed in there. He sat down at the piano and started to play. A few minutes later a girl named Kaitlyn, the most beautiful girl in school heard something. She walked in without being noticed.. Corey sat there for a few seconds. Eventually Kaitlyn broke the silence.
“Wow, you’re really good!” she said, making him jump.
“Thanks,” he said awkwardly. “Are you looking for someone?”
“No, I just heard something and came to see what it was.” She replied.
“Oh, well it’s just me so you can go back to class if you want,” he said.
“Actually I was planning on going home a little early. You can come if you want,” she answered. He couldn’t believe what he was hearing. He thought he was dreaming.
“Sure,” he said.
They got in her car and went to get something to eat. When they got to the restaurant Corey saw his dad’s truck through the window, hoping he wasn’t seen. Five minutes later he got a text from his dad telling him to get home. After they finished their meal he told her that his dad wanted him home. When they got to his house he thanked her for making him feel a little special.
Later that night he locked himself in his room after his dad had beaten him. He was used to it, but tonight it was way worse. His dad kept banging on the door and Corey couldn’t stand it any longer. He got some clothes together and snuck out through his window. He called Kaitlyn and she understood his situation and let him stay with her for the weekend.
On Sunday he woke up to a gun held against his forehead. He was so confused. There was a man hovering over him with a ski mask over his face. The man took it off and revealed the face of his dad. Corey yelled for help but his dad pushed the gun harder to his head, threatening to pull the trigger.
“ What’s wrong with you?!,” Corey yelled. His dad didn’t speak. Corey could see that his dad had gone completely insane. His dad was not himself, he was crazier. It was as if he was possessed. Corey saw Kaitlyn running down the stairs. His dad pulled the trigger. Corey Reed was dead. Kaitlyn screamed time as he fired again. He barely missed her, but with the second shot she was dead as well.
The police showed up at the house only to find the bodies of two teenagers, two parents, and a note. The note read: ‘I killed your parents, Corey Reed.’