Black Cradle | Teen Ink

Black Cradle

By Samantha_Love SILVER, Oak Harbor, Washington
Samantha_Love SILVER, Oak Harbor, Washington

"Life is what you make of it."

“Where did you hide her?” Daylynn asked the young woman.

“Why would I hide someone that I don’t have? I told you the truth, she died. She never even made it home to see the nursery. If you were here you would have known that but you were gone and so is she. Now if you don’t mind I think you should leave.”  Annabelle told the boy while leading him towards the door. Before he left he turned around,

“You are hiding something and I’m pretty sure it’s my daughter I mean how could someone lose a child but look perfectly fine, like nothing ever happen to her, like the kid never happened. Either way I will find out where you’re hiding her and I will get her back.” With that Daylynn left, once again he was leaving though now she knows that he will see him again even though she doesn’t want to.

“Baby girl, wherever you are in that great big sky that was your daddy he’s kind of crazy but at one point in my life I loved him and he loved me but when I told him of you he freaked and left for a while, when he would call it would be to say that he was never coming back and I could just go raise that kid by myself. I don’t know why it took him this long to realize that you were as much his and you were mine. I love you my sweet and I will talk to you more later. Go and see the world that I never got to see.”

Anne walked up to the second floor and past the first door painted in baby pink that was meant for her daughter when she came home from the hospital, She gave the door a small sad smile and thought that maybe she would paint the door to more a neutral color that would fit into the house more.

Puffing up her chest she walked to the door and grabbed her keys. She was changing that room. At the store she couldn’t decide on what color she wanted for that room, something dark to match the mood that comes with the mood. Maybe midnight blue, maroon, gray, white, her mind kept screaming a color, black she wanted black. She bought three gallons of black and went home.

On her way home she was thinking of what she could do with the room, she could paint glittery stars and on a cloudy night when the clouds block her view of the beautiful stars she could just go into that room and just stare at her stars.

When she finally got home she went upstairs and to the first door. When Anne walked in she froze, this was the first time she had been in this room since coming home from the hospital. The cradle was sitting in the corner, it’s color matched the pink from the door. Annabelle started to cry silently at first then those silent sobs turned into her crying so hard that she could barely breath. She stared at the cradle then at the paint. Annabelle reached down and opened the paint.

She picked up the brush and dipped it in the paint getting a thick coat of black paint on the brush. Next thing she knew there was a black stripe across the top of the cradle, then across the side and before long most of the baby pink cradle was coated in black.

“Baby girl I’m sorry I ruined your pretty bed.” She whispered softly “I know you would have loved it, I wish you could have seen it. You were so beautiful my little babe. I must let you go and go on with my life, maybe one day I will have another little girl and she will have a new pink cradle.Goodbye my little sweet angel.” Annabelle sat there for an hour staring at the pink cradle turned black.