That Night | Teen Ink

That Night

Castiels.Freaking.Trenchcoat SILVER, Columbiana, Ohio

"Family don't end with blood, boy." ~Bobby (Supernatural)

I circled around the man in a pitch lack cave. Except I could see. I was relying is fully on echolocation, that, within the last few years, has grown stronger than I ever thought it would. I could see perfectly just by the sound of my breathing.
“Come on, Andy. I thought this was where you wanted to ‘play’,” I said, mocking him. I almost laughed when he whirled around to face me. Too bad I had already moved silently.
“Look, don’t do this. Please.” Andy asked. “You know I was only joking. Who knew my flashlight would die?” He stopped on a stutter. “Josh?” I silently walked behind him and whispered in him ear.
“I did.”

*              *                  *
I wake up to the sound of screaming. It takes a few seconds for me to realize it was my sister. I shove my sheets off and walk down the hall to her room. I shake her awake.
“Come on, Kassie, wake up,” I say softly. She groans quietly as she slowly sat up. She is only ten, but as the only witness to our parents’ murder, she often wakes up with nightmares. Her light blue, almost white eyes threaten to spill over with tears.
“Josh, it seemed too real,” she says as she starts to sob. I wrap my arms around her as she cries. Me being 18, a legal adult and her closest living relative, she came into my custody. Not that I basically wanted to be a dad that the age of eighteen.
“Shh, I know, Kassie, I have them too.” I press my cheek against her head. Her blonde hair is soft, and smells like the strawberry shampoo I get her, and I stroke hair till she fell asleep. I gently lay her down and pull her covers up to her chin.
I sit on the edge of her bed softly with my elbows resting on my knees and my head in my hands. Kassie’s night light emits a soft glow that fills the room. Just like I do every night, I go over the events of the night my parents were murdered.
                  *                  *                  *     
My phone rang at 3:29 a.m. I was staying over at a friend’s house. I groaned as I reached for my phone.
“Hello?” I asked groggily.
“Is this Mr. Jacobs?” a man asked on the other side of the phone. I wasn’t used to being called ‘mister’, so I just figured he was talking about my dad. Being half asleep didn’t help either.
“Uh, no… That’s my dad…” I heard mumbling in the background and the man starts talking quietly. It sounds like the phone switches hands.
“Joshie?” when I heard my little sisters voice I knew something was wrong…

*                     *                    *  
I close my eyes, pushing back the memories. I should have been there. I should have been in that house. I should have died with them. I could feel the sting of tears, but I refuse to cry. I needed to stay strong for Kassie.
I feel a tug on my shirt. I look back to see Kassie awake.
“You’re sad,” she said. She knew how to read me, even if she was ten.
“A little.” There was no reason to lie to her. “Another nightmare?” She shakes her head.
“No,” she said. I reach over, grab her hand, and give her a small, sad smile.
“It’s bed time honey.”
“I know.” She sniffs. “I don’t wanna sleep alone.”
“You’re not alone.” I grab her stuffed rabbit. “What about Fluffy?” I shake him lightly over her face so that his large, soft, and fluffy ears tickle her face, making her giggle.
“Fluffy doesn’t count,” she said, snatching the plaid bunny out of my hands. I smile as I lay down beside her on the pint-sized bed.
“I don’t even fit,” I complain, jokingly.
“So shrink.” She cuddles up next to me.
“It’s not that easy, Kas.” I wrap my arms around her and pull my knees up so that I fit better.
“I know.” She yawns. “G’night, Joshie.”
“’night my sweet, Kassie.” I start to sing, knowing she’d fall asleep quicker. Soon our breathing softens and we both fall into a deep sleep.

Ah, the beauty of dreams....