I'm Cold | Teen Ink

I'm Cold

By SamanthaKamryn BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan
SamanthaKamryn BRONZE, Detroit, Michigan

Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain, but you cant have a rainbow, with out a little rain.

August 14, a date I’ll never forget. I’m a single father, they call me Dan. My wife died a few weeks ago so it’s been hard on me and my only child McKenzie. It was 3:00 am when I heard the coughs of my child, a sad sound no parent likes to hear.
“Daddy I’m cold.”  I heard her voice say from the other room. I got up from my bed and got her a cover out our hallway closet. It was raining really badly so I didn’t bother with the lights, I assumed they were powered off. I put the cover on her and walked out. I laid in my bed for a good fifteen minutes before drifting off to sleep. I’m unsure on how long I was sleep but I woke up to my daughter calling me again.
“Daddy I’m cold.” She was a little louder than before. Her voice sounded shaken, I assumed it was from her illness. I turned up the heat. Once again I did not turn on the lights. I climbed back into bed. This time before I dozed back off I checked my clock. It said 3:25, It felt like things were going by slow, because I put the cover on her around three, and know its 3:25. I shrugged it off, and fell back to sleep. Until about 15 minutes later.
“Daddy I’m cold!” She said even louder than before. Who knew her tiny voice could get so high. I finally turned on the lights and went into my daughter room. When I did that, I finally woke all the way up, my blood was rushing, my heart was beating fast, because I finally remembered that my daughter is at a sleep over.
I heard steps come behind me, “Daddy I’m cold.” A whisper said slowly touching my back.
Daddy I’m cold.

I wrote this myself after listening to some cool creepy pastas. If you don't know what that is, its a collection of horror stories and mine is kindergarden compared to to theirs. They inspire to write horror stories and I've been in love with writing them ever since. Even though I only write short stories, I think I will only get better.