Ghost Story | Teen Ink

Ghost Story

By fettywaplover1738 BRONZE, Aiken, South Carolina
fettywaplover1738 BRONZE, Aiken, South Carolina

It was a crisp, autumn day when I asked my grandfather to the lake. “A day on the lake fishing with your favorite grandson is just what you need to revitalize those old bones.” is what I playfully said to my grandfather. “You’re going to have to be more convincing than that if you want to get this geezer out on that disgusting lake, and you're my only grandson.” he replied with distaste.
Grandfather was a bitter, selfish, and unpleasant man. Ever since he retired from his job running a very successful technology company, he’s felt used up and discouraged to go through the motions of his daily life. After a few minutes of arguing, I prevailed and managed to drag him into the car and off to the lake.
Gem Lakes was an ironic name, if anything. The waters were almost black, in a way that distorted your reflection when your peered into their depth. Nevertheless, the fish thrived in the lake, and fishing here had been a tradition for years. Families in our town all found the lake as a place of serenity to swim, fly kites, have a barbeque, and have good natured fun.
I struggled to haul our old kayak onto the shore, and felt a pang of sadness when I realized that this would be my last trip with Grandfather, but thinking about the money that would secure my family assured my purpose as I guided the kayak to the water.  I spoke of my past, happy memories with my Grandfather as I padded to a more secluded area of the lake.
Once we were out far enough, I tipped the over the boat. It was painful to watch his struggle, he looked at me for help, with a hopeless and surprised gaze in his clear, green eyes. Then he splashed until his limp body sank, and was devoured by the black water.  I swam to shore, and rushed home as soon as I could.
When I arrived home I was greeted by an icy glare from my wife. “Did you do it?” she inquired. “It’s done.” I replied, my answer soaked with guilt. Grandfather wasn’t ever terrible to me, he raised me as his own, for my parents died when I was too young to remember them. But he had his faults, and when I asked for his help he refused it, cold-heartedly quoting an old president on how he would rather feed a dog before a human. My family was desperate, we had struggles with investments, I wasn’t very good at handling money. I was surprised on Grandfather’s unwillingness to help me, and my money issues corrupted our bond.
From there I had plotted with my wife on how to kill my Grandfather. We figured that the money he left for me in his will would be more than enough to rescue us from our financial debt, I was the only heir, and Grandfather wasn’t one to donate to charity. Besides, Grandfather was almost ninety, he didn’t have a lot of life left in him anyway.
We were right, after he was declared dead, everything fell into place like it was supposed to. My bad investment worries were over, I had rekindled my relationship with my wife, and I had landed myself a steady job as an accountant. I felt like my life was back on track when I read a newspaper headline I couldn’t ignore.  The headline stated, “FIVE MISSING PERSONS FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF GEM LAKES.”  I was instantly drawn to go back to the lake, where a year ago I ended my Grandfather’s life.
That night, I slipped out of the house undetected and made my way to the lake. It was just as I remembered, and this stinging fall air made me feel deja vu. I walked to the edge of the lake, and couldn’t believe what I saw. Two clear, green circles just the color of grandfather’s eyes seemed to be stirring in the murky water. I thought I was hallucinating at first, so I bent down to get a closer look. Suddenly, a hand lurched out of the water and started to drag me under. I saw the glimpse of a face, and what I saw made me feel faint.
It was my Grandfather, and I realized he must of drowned those innocent people in the newspaper thinking they were me. Now here I was struggling to break free from his slimy grasp. My fight was to no avail, for his body strung around me like clumps of algae and propelled me further down to the lake floor. I felt like I had been under the water for years. I didn’t know which way to swim, for the water was pitch black.  Without any air left in my lungs, I gave my last breath to the lake. The last thing I recall was seeing two bright green circles staring curiously, as the dark lake devoured me.

The lake is a two minuite walk from my house, and this fictional piece is based on an actual event that happened.