Karma Police | Teen Ink

Karma Police

December 8, 2015
By CarlosPerez BRONZE, Valley Cottage, New York
CarlosPerez BRONZE, Valley Cottage, New York
1 article 4 photos 0 comments

A man in interrogated by an Interrogator alongside a Doctor but he has zero information and has lived a nomadic life.

Chapter 1: Karma Police

                    KARMA POLICE
A man is arrested and is interrogated.
“So I know what you did- but tell me, what have you done?” The interrogator questions.
“I was just living,” He smiles, “Anything I do is just- me, living.”
The interrogator is furious. He knows the situation he got himself into.
    “Are you serious! You killed 6 people, are you denying this?”
The man lays back on the metal chair but slides his back lower instead, “Well To be is to be perceived, therefore I can’t tell you now because we can never be sure of the truth of the past,” The man begins to sit back up realizing he was losing comfort.
The man is no older than fifteen or sixteen. The interrogator always has a face of awe when he’s not talking. He frequently looks over at The Doctor kept in the back, handling the Lie Detector
    “Do you realize how young you are? How are old are you? Who are you- who is this kid?” He begins to question the man and ends up questioning the Doctor.
    “He still doesn’t have any files, no family, no name, nothing,” The Doctor responds nonchalantly.
The Man doesn’t feel forgotten, he’s enjoying the pouring emotion the Interrogator’s face fulfills the sullen room.
    “You think you’re fooling everyone that you’re an inexistent man? Now, I’m going to ask you this once, what, is your name?”
The man hasn’t moved from his position in a while, “I don’t have-“
“Don’t you dare lie to-”
“He’s not lying,” The Doctor chimes in.
“What?”
All eyes have gone to the wires and arm strap.
    “This detector is telling me he didn’t lie,” The doctor clarifies the allegation before it got out of hand. The Doctor receives a blank stare from the interrogator. The Doctor interprets the look in his eyes as an intimidating threat; but The Doctor can see the wear and tear of what everything around it has endured. Ongoing, The interrogator moves his pupils further down to further ponder his next move.
The Interrogator looks back up to the Doctor, “Very well, I’ll ask a series of questions, The Doctor will tell me Negative or Positive,” recieving a nod of recognition by The Doctor. All four eyes turn to The Man.
“Where did you grow up?” The interrogator asks with a stern voice returning his attention to The Man.
“Same place you grew up in.”
“Negative,” The Doctor responds and verifies the Man’s comment quickly.
“Are you implying I’m your father?” The Interrogator gives an underlining look of disgust.
“I don’t imply, I speak the words I think, I do the things I think, I am what I think,” The Man responds with a smirk.
“And what are you thinking about right now?”
“I’m not thinking,” The man says catching The interrogator off guard; who was expecting an informative answer.
“You know we should really lighten up the room, but not literally, sort of literally. Everything’s just so glum and monotone white. You should add some colors to the room and more light. But no more on me. Its pretty bright,” The man says with theatrical voice. The Doctor and The Interrogator look at each other in synchronization.
“You know if we were to move that light overhead I bet there’d be a happier mood in this room,” The Man says looking at both The Doctor and The Interrogator back and forth. The Man gives a smile asking for validation.
“I’m going to proceed with this interrogation and you’re going to give me valid, true answers and nothing more nothing less, got?” The interrogator said with a new approach on dealing with The Man. He begins to act more territorial of the space albeit The Man is tied down. 
The man gestures with his lips before speaking, “Floor’s yours,” he said raising a smirk on the left side of his face whilst tilting his head to the floor.
“You’re a murderer, you think just because you have no background means you can do whatever go around willy nilly. I’m not letting you out of this room, not after what you’ve done to my daughter.”
“You can call me what you want, a murderer, a psychopath, I've heard it all. I’m no man who likes killing people or needs to in order to feel emotion. I’m just a man who likes to break rules and see rules broken. If I kill enough people, I break the biggest rules in the book. And what happens when rules are broken? Chaos and more rules are broken until who knows. So, you can call me what you want, I’m just the facilitator.”
The Interrogator takes in what The Man has said. He doesn’t ignore the contradiction of his philosophy, but refuses to fight against it. He takes a deep breath and sits down on the chair that has yet to be used. “Well to be quite honest i’m not sure what to do here. There’s nothing to do, nothing to say.”
“I guess this is what really makes a person you know,” The man looks up to ceiling and squints, “It’s the fork in the road that really drives a person’s character, defines who they are. You never know someone until you put them in the fork in the road and let them choose the path,” The Man bulges his eyes and raises his eyebrows for a split second giving The Interrogator a sign.
“How do you expect me to believe you have no home nor family?”
“I don’t,” another quick response was given by The Man. He has yet to look away from The Interrogator’s eyes.
“You must have a father and mother, I’m forced to state the obvious here but you have to be someone’s son somewhere out there.”
“Well I hate to break it to you but I have no mother nor father,” said The Man, who by now has locked eye contact with The Interrogator and neither refuse to look away. Both forget their setting, their place, and what they’re doing.
“Not anymore,” The Doctor exclaimed, who has slowly approached The Man. The Man feels a cold rim around his head with the diameter of inch. The tip of his buzz cut hair can tell what he’s feeling. He’s feeling the end.
THE END.

A Year has past and I have finally learned to read and write, and I have finished my story. My father, A Doctor, spared my life as I spared his. I, The Man, was the karma police until karma caught up to me.