The Ashes Inside The Urn | Teen Ink

The Ashes Inside The Urn

By Roachelse BRONZE, Beaumont, Texas
Roachelse BRONZE, Beaumont, Texas

It was a cold, winter day in Detroit, when all around the city many houses held their own garage sale. The big houses usually had the more useful stuff, while the smaller houses had a whole bunch of junk and antiques.

There was a young, Asian couple who lived in the middle class neighborhoods of Detroit. The lady’s name was Elena Yueng and her husband’s name was Justin Yueng. The couple had just moved to Detroit from their homeland in Japan. They wanted to experience the local garage sales and find some cheap things to put in their house as decorations. They went to different houses not too far from their neighborhood and met some really nice people who gave them some really nice deals on items they were interested in. So far, they had gotten a small wooden table, some mitch-match silverware, and a few sweaters they saw laying around.
After a while, they decided to go to the richer neighborhoods and see what they had to offer. They went to the first huge house they saw and got out of their car. There was no one outside to offer assistance, but they didn’t think too much of it. They decided to just look around anyways and thought maybe they’d come back out if they saw they had customers. Elena then saw a sign that said “Take what you want, no pay.” Elena showed it to Justin and he nodded his head and thought that was pretty cool.
There was a very nice urn there with a really nice traditional japanese design on it. It reminded them of home so they definitely had to get it. Justin picked it up and almost dropped it because he didn’t think it was going to be that heavy. He put it in their trunk and they left to go back home and put their new items in their house. After they put everything in it’s new place they decided to go eat to finish off their successful day. They went to a place called Supino Pizzeria and ate there for a couple of hours. When they left the pizzeria they decided to head back home. They expected to come back to their nearly finished, decorated house and just relax in the living room until they got tired.
When the Yueng couple arrived to their house they both felt this really weird vibe. They had never felt a vibe that bad since they moved to the U.S. They knew something wasn’t right. As they got closer to the door they heard a sound, kind of like something was shaking on a surface. Justin unlocked the door and they both entered to see their new urn literally shaking on a surface and they didn’t know why. It scared Elena and she had dropped everything she had in her hands. Justin looked around to see nothing could’ve caused the urn to do this. In his head he said he knew he shouldn’t have taken anything from a garage sale with no one there. Justin walked over to the urn because he had to stop it some way. Just when Justin barely touched the vase it fell over and they saw something grey just pour out onto the ground. Elena looked down at it and screamed. She told Justin that someone’s ashes was in there the whole time.
They put two and two together and realized that they probably woke up someone’s spirit and were now being haunted. Suddenly the ashes started to glow into this bright yellow color. The ashes started to twirl into the tornado formation and the Yuengs were too flabbergasted to even do anything about it. Suddenly, a figure began to form. The figure turned out to be a old man’s figure. To Justin’s and Elena’s surprise the old man figure was their long lost great grandpa.
THE END