Game of Life | Teen Ink

Game of Life

March 9, 2016
By bookworm97365 BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
bookworm97365 BRONZE, Buffalo Grove, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
everyone says you can not live with out love,... but I think that oxygen is more important


The chilly air sent a shiver down Robert’s back as he peered over the railing of the balcony. The plaza beneath was rapidly filling in anticipation of the spectacle that was sure to entertain. At least, that’s what Monsieur Daviau promised when he brought Robert up to the balcony to drink wine. Robert didn’t enjoy wine very much, but he was curious. Looking at the horde of people gathering underneath, he realized he shouldn’t have been. The brightly lit streets were cleared to make room for a raised wooden platform. Two nooses hung in the wind as the crowd of people called for the prisoners to be brought out. The executioners waited expressionlessly as the crowd got rowdier and rowdier beneath them.
Robert turned away from the scene and sat across from the French man. Monsieur Daviau was sitting at a decadently laid out table and staring intently at the square beneath. He could not make out his expression in the dim light of the lanterns, but Robert had the feeling that the man sitting across from him was enjoying the event a bit too much. Robert moved forward to pick up his glass of wine, and swished it around halfheartedly. Death was not Robert’s cup of tea, despite his profession.
“So, Lord Alistair how has your stay in France been so far?” Daviau finally spoke up from across the table. “I hope that we Frenchmen have been sufficiently welcoming.” Daviau’s accent made his English almost unintelligible, but Robert had practice understanding the French accents for the past few days.
“Quite so, Monsieur. I could not be better take care of.” Robert replied.
“I would hope so. After all, it is not always that the only heir to the Alistair fortune visits France.”
“Please Monsieur, I don’t wish to inherit this wealth. I hope to make a name for myself without my family’s name to help,” Robert attested, as he had done many times before. At this point it felt rehearsed.
“Yes, Yes. I have heard much about your business deal with Monsieur Jaccoud. He is investing quite a lot in this new business of yours. He is impressed with your…independence. Turning down that much family wealth is … different to say the least.”
“I suppose…” Robert could not understand the man’s true intentions.
Both he and Monsieur Daviau were invited as esteemed guests to the Jaccoud household the night before. At dinner, the French nobleman had taken an immediate liking to Robert, much to his dismay. Maybe it was his dead eyes or his oily nature, but Robert found the nobleman absolutely repulsive.
The next day, Robert received an invitation to the Daviau Manor for dinner and a show. It was only his second day in France, so he was in no place to refuse such a respected member of French Society. He now regretted his decision.
“I wonder though, how is it that you could not find investors in Britain? I would imagine that your family’s name alone would garner enough people.”
“My father does not approve of my…independence. Of course most people would not act against my father wishes. That is why I would like to gather investors here before returning to Britain next week.” Robert replied his rehearsed statement. He had been pitching himself to many investor in the past few days, and at this point he had his story memorized down to the last detail.
“Hmm, I see. And how many times have you told this story over the past few day?” Robert looked up curiously. That was a strange thing to ask. Daviau caught the look and quickly added, “That is, how many investors have you gathered the past few days?
“Enough, I should think.”
“Enough to fill a ship with gold?” Daviau didn’t seem curious at all. More amused than anything else.
“Probably…”
The conversation came to an end, while both men stared at the scene beneath. The crowd continued to chant for the prisoners. Taking advantage of the situation, a few vendors peddled their wares to anyone that was interested. The loud voices broke through the night and reached the two men above to fill the silent void.
Daviau finally broke that silence “You know, I’ve been to Britain before. In fact, when I was a young man, I was invited to stay at your family chateau in the countryside. You were just four years old then.”
“Really, I never knew.” This worried Robert. He never knew of Daviau’s connection to the Alistair household. This could complicate the plan.
“Yes. Your father and have kept in touch for a long time after that. However, our correspondence had to be discontinued eventually. I should say, I was very excited to hear that his son, Darian Alistair was to visit France.”
“I’m sorry to say that my father has not spoken much about you to me, Monsieur.”
“Hmm… Nothing to do now.”
The two men drifted into silence again to look down at the square. The crowd was not to be sated until blood be shed. Robert started to wonder what the point of this entertainment was. Was it French custom to treat their guests to other men’s deaths, or was this just Monsieur Daviau’s pastime? He was just about to voice his questions, albeit more delicately worded, when Daviau spoke first.
“The common folk’s cruelty is something to be amazed at, don’t you think? Such a celebration for other men’s deaths…”
“These men have broken the law and should be punished of course.” Robert responded automatically. It is not gentlemanly to disagree with the law.
Daviau turned his head to look at Robert. “You are pitiless indeed, Lord Alistair. You do not know their circumstances. You did not even inquire of their crimes.” Robert could not help shivering as the other man stared right into his soul. His repulsion grew stronger, but, unfortunately, he couldn’t leave now.
Robert reached forward to grab a grape, and popped it in to his mouth. As long as he was stuck there he might as well enjoy himself and put on a performance. “The law is laid down for the protection of us all, Monsieur. Everybody has circumstances. That does not excuse there crimes.”
“Well, I would have to disagree with you sir. I am much more kindhearted than you. After all we wouldn’t be here if I wasn’t so kind…” Again, the nobleman’s ambiguity piqued Robert’s curiosity.
Before Robert could say anything, the ruckus beneath grew louder. The crowd surged up in cheers as two men were dragged out of a building in chains. The people parted to let the procession through, while a few threw rotten fruits at the prisoners. The first prisoner fell over as a particularly vicious projectile hit his face, but the guards pulled him roughly to his feet and continued the trek. Much like livestock being brought to their butchers, the prisoners were made to march to their own deaths. They climbed up the stairs and kneeled in front of the spectators, so an officer of the law could read their crimes aloud. Robert, though disgusted, could not rip his eyes away.
“Do tell Monsieur, what were their crimes?” Robert asked, still watching the scene below. His French was never good.
Daviau looked awfully pleased as he spoke English in his heavy accent. “That pathetic one, over there, was a poor farmer before he came to the city. It seems, he could not feed his own family, so he resorted to stealing. Unfortunately, he got caught stealing a few coins off a noblewoman and was thrown in jail immediately. It is sad to see such tragedy, is it not?”
Robert looked down at the prisoners more closely and noticed that the prisoner that fell before was now openly weeping on the stage. His wailing could be heard even on top the balcony. He was not certain, but Robert thought that the main was begging to see his family for the last time. The sight only seemed to make the crowd more rowdy than before. Robert followed the man’s gaze to a woman standing with a baby in her arms. She was the only person weeping in the crowd of people watching the spectacle. Robert shifted his eyes to the second prisoner.
“The second, what did he do?” Robert inquired. He couldn’t help his curiosity.
“Oh, this one is interesting. That one was apparently a con-man.” Daviau shot Robert a pointed look as continued talking. “He was caught three days ago, I think.” Robert’s heart raced as he stared back at Daviau. “A real pity, such a smart man is to go like this…”
“How was he caught?” Robert’s self-control was completely gone at this point. Daviau invitation was suspicious from the beginning, but now Robert was very uncomfortable. This was supposed to be an easy job, but Robert was not so sure anymore.
“Oh! He was posing as a foreign nobleman that was here for a business deal. He ended up making a deal with few men here before being caught three days ago. He was on a boat back to wherever he came from when the police arrested him.”
Robert finally managed to tear his eyes away from the French man’s, to look at the prisoners. The second, unlike his companion, acted defiantly the entire walk to the stage. He refused to shy away from the angry mob, yet he did not acknowledge them either. Staring straight ahead, he kneeled on the stage and did not speak a single word the entire time. He only broke his façade to give the man kneeling next to him a disgusted look. The officer finally finished his speech and gestured to the executioners.
“Who told the police?” Robert had his suspicions, but he had to make sure.
“It was an anonymous tip.” Monsieur Daviau’s expression was chilling.
Robert looked away, and back at the glass in his hands. Daviau continued to stare at Robert as he spoke. “How about we make this a bit more interesting. After all, you will not be coming to France very often, right? We should try to make it a memorable experience.” The lantern light gave the usually handsome Frenchman’s face an air of cruelty. Daviau reached into his breast pocket and took out a small envelope. “I have here a pardon from the king himself.” Daviau placed the envelope in front of Robert, almost like he was the one being pardoned.
“Who are you going to choose?” Robert thought he understood people well, but the man sitting in front of him was a complete mystery. He obviously knew who Robert was, yet he did not report him. Why do this now?
“I’m not going to choose anybody. You are.”
“Why? It’s your pardon.”
“I’m a kindhearted man, Lord Darian Alistair. I want give everybody I can the chance to be saved.”
Robert couldn’t speak as he silently nodded. Daviau, again, reached into his breast pocket and sliped out two cards. He placed them faced down and said “How about this. It seems you cannot make an outright decision, so why don’t we leave it up to fate. On these two cards I have written out the crimes that have been committed. How about you decide which crime goes unpunished tonight. Their lives rest on your shoulder, Lord Alistair”
Speechless all Robert could do was stare at the cards helplessly. He had finally understood the true stakes of the game. He had been given a chance to save himself. His heart raced as he looked up at the nobleman’s face. The smile that graced it was chilling. He was never fooled by Robert’s act, only amused.
Robert slowly reached over and picked up the card on his right. The word were written in French. Robert realized that Daviau wanted Robert to ask what the card said, so that he could be the one to tell him his fate. This was all a game to the nobleman. Robert had no desire to play it, but he had no other choice.
Doesn’t mean he had to play nice.
“Tell me, Monsieur, which man would you save?” Robert inquired.
Daviau seemed surprised by the sudden change in Robert tone. Looking back at the prisoner he answered, “Oh, I don’t know… I guess the considerate choice would be the thief. After all, he had no choice and he has a family. On the other hand…”  Daviau looked back at Robert, “the con-man’s situation is most interesting. Don’t you think one would have to be very clever to pull off such a feat? To fool so many people…?”
Robert placed the card back on the table and slid them both over to the noblemen’s side. “How about you choose, Monsieur? After all you seem to have more of an opinion than I do.”
Daviau stared back at the younger man before breaking into a loud laugh. He finally quieted down and said, “Very interesting, indeed. You have quite a nerve.”
“Whatever do you mean, Monsieur?” Robert sat back in his chair. He might be dying pretty soon, but he would not be made to beg.
“Very well…” Daviau leaned forward and paused with his hand above the cards. After a few long minutes he chose one and read it to himself. He looked up and smiled heartlessly. “It seems the luck favors the intelligent tonight, Lord”
Robert could not help the relief that he felt, but he made sure to not show it on his face. He was not going to back down now. Daviau gestured to his manservant and gave him the envelope. He pointed at the officer below and whispered in his ear. The servant ran off through the house to deliver the message.
Robert turned his attention back to the scene underneath. The two prisoners now stood in front of the nooses, one with his head held high and the other cowering in fear. The crowd could not restrain their excitement.
The manservant pushed through until he finally reached the officer in the last minute. The officer took the letter and read it before gesturing to executioner to stop. He then made the announcement that the con-man was to be pardoned for his crimes. The entire square exploded in protest. The relief showed clearly in the con-man’s face as he was led off into a building nearby. The entire walk there the people around him shouted insults at him, but he seemed elated nonetheless.
It was not until the executioner stepped forward to put the noose around the thief’s neck that the crowd quieted down. The man left on the stage was now wailing again calling for his family. Robert looked away in disgust. He could not watch it any longer.
The sound of the pedestal falling away underneath the unlucky prisoner could be heard all the way to the balcony above. The wailing of the woman and cheers from the spectators that soon followed. Robert tried not listen, but the noise was too loud to block out.
“You are heartless, Monsieur Daviau.” The façade did not matter to Robert. Not anymore.
“Whatever do you mean Lord Darian Alistair, I just saved a man from death.”
“Drop the act, Monsieur. There’s no need for it anymore. We are alone.”
“Very well,” Daviau seemed honestly disappointed. “I was having so much fun though.”
“Why do this? Why not just report me?”
“I was always good at reading people, Lord Alistair. Oh, I’m sorry. I was to ‘drop the act,’ right. What is your real name?” Robert remained silent. He would not give this bastard the satisfaction. “I guess it doesn’t really matter anyways.”
Daviau sat back in his chair and continued his story. “I can see through people very well, you know. And, being rich can get a little boring sometimes. Entertainment doesn’t come by easily. I decided that you would be the one to give it.”
“And that man you saved. Did he provide you with entertainment as well?”
“Oh I didn’t know that man well enough to play. I just had a hunch that turned out to be true. He was very useful for this game though.”
“What now?” Robert was confused. This man was not like other nobles. Sure they were cruel, but not to this extent.
“Oh you can leave whenever you want. Your secret is safe with me.”
Robert couldn’t help saying something before leaving. “You disgust me, Monsieur.” Daviau’s face did not betray any emotion, but his body straitened up. Almost if he were proud of his accomplishments, Daviau gestured for Robert to leave.
Robert silently got up from his chair and turned to leave. Daviau again turned to face the square. It was now empty except for the last few peddler gathering up their wares and the woman who had been sobbing about her dead husband since his death. The crowd quickly dispersed after the hanging to leave behind the remnants of a broken family. As Robert walked down the stairs and out the front door, he could not help blaming himself. If he had been less selfish, the poor man and his family could have been saved. Robert did not think he could ever forgive himself.
Above it all, Monsieur Daviau returned inside for the night. Hi trusty manservant had returned to his side to get him ready for bed. Maybe it was the success of the night or his recently inflated ego, but Monsieur Daviau decided to confide in his long faithful servant. “The cruelty of a commoner really is surprising isn’t it?” he said as he put on his robe. “But one’s own life is more precious…”