One Rainy Night | Teen Ink

One Rainy Night

By kimberlyvaladez BRONZE, Austin, Texas
kimberlyvaladez BRONZE, Austin, Texas

One rainy lonely night  two friends decided to rob a store. Perla and Monze were tired of doing the same things over and over again, and doing all these boring, activities they started to say, “We should go do something crazy.” But that crazy thing ended up being the worst  decision they ever made.
An hour passed, and they hopped into the car.They started driving around till it hit 1 a.m. They drove to Wal-Mart, and when they got there they stayed inside the car planning out their moves. They were going to start from the entrance and end up in the back, but they were going to separate. Perla was going to take the left side, and Monze was going to take the right side but for that they would only have 10 minutes to do everything. They already knew what they came for, so it would take them like 5 minutes to meet at the back. Perla looked at Monze and said, “Let’s do this!” and it began.
Perla started to shatter the window while Monze kept an eye out. As soon that they got in they went  their own ways. Perla went straight to the makeup aisle, and Monze went to the electronics. In the moment, while Perla was gathering all the makeup she was going to take, she heard, “POLICE!” And she ducked down and started to think, What now?
She heard footsteps and keys dangling and started to get nervous and scared. Her hands were sweating. Her heart was beating fast in that moment. she was so lost, not knowing what  she was going to do or how she was going to communicate with Monze to inform her that their time was up. 
The police were already here, and Perla started to crawl on the floor to try to get to the electronics as fast as she could. She heard noises, windows cracking, things getting thrown to the floor. Perla didn’t know if it was Monze or the Cops. She saw a cop pointing his gun at Monze, but Monze didn’t know anything. She did not know what was going on.
Perla heard the raindrops on top of the roof and realized she was never gonna hear that again. She started to remember her lifetime, all the good moments she lived with her friends and family, and how she was going to miss all that. She had an idea, Maybe if I go on top of the roof I can go all the way back and escape. She started to think about crazy, different ideas and didn’t focus on not being seen.
There was a cop behind her and was pointing at her with a red laser dot. She looked down and saw a red dot on the floor by her feet. that’s when she got up and started to run as fast as she could.
She saw a door that had a sign that said, “Top Roof.” she went straight to the door and started to run all the steps. Her legs were shaking. She didn’t feel the ground any more. She felt like she was going to faint. When she finally reached the top she saw that the roof had taken her to the other side of where she had parked her car. At that moment she wrapped her hands around her head. She looked down and thought, This is my only way out - to jump off and run straight to the bushes. But when she was going to jump her phone started to ring when she looked at it. The caller name said “Monze.” She stopped, looked back, and answered.
“Hello Monze I thought they arre….” but they had already hung up. She looked so confused. She didn’t remember what was going on anymore. All she remembered was that she was going to jump off the roof.
Finally Perla came to her senses and she jumped off the roof thinking nothing was going to happen. But as soon as she hit the floor, she could no longer move. She tried, but nothing happened. Her legs were not functional. All she could do was move her eyes while the rain poured. Within 5 seconds she was out.