Runaway Princess | Teen Ink

Runaway Princess

May 29, 2016
By JoKos BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
JoKos BRONZE, Franklin, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once." (TFIOS)


“You have a duty to fulfill, my daughter.” Mother said harshly as Liyla, our maid combed my red, curly hair.

“But I don’t love him. He’s a old, horrid, vile toad.” I said in disgust and mother clicked her tongue in annoyance.

“Do you think I loved your father right away? I most certainly did not.” Mother looked in her mirror and smoothed out her dress.

“But in time, I learned to accept him and love him. One cannot just fall in love right away, it is impossible for a Princess. Your duty is to betroth him because you need a partner by your side to reign Candella.” She pushed Liyla aside, snatching the comb from her grasp. She pulled down, hard, on my hair and I was suspicious if she was doing it on purpose for questioning her about my marriage, which will be in three hours.

“I suppose, in time, I could learn to love him.” I lied, and saw Mother nod her head in content, believing me.

“Good, now stay here while I go get your dress.” She walked with grace into her room, where she hid my dress that I hated.

“Are you sure about this, Princess?” Liyla entered the room, looking around to make sure no guards nor my mother could hear this conversation.

“I have to get out of here. I can’t marry him Li. I know I can’t ever come to love him. I don’t care if I disgrace my family, they had disgraced me when they forced me to have to marry a man that is fifteen years older than me.” I said and she ushered me over to the secret door.

“Here’s your suitcase. I packed lightly, so it won’t weigh you down. Some normal clothes, money, and small cans of food that you can make do until you reach a city. Far, far away from here.” She emphasized the word far, and opened the door.

“Are you sure no one knows about this door?” She asked.

“I’m positive, don’t worry, my mother will take her time getting my dress, making sure it is perfect before she puts it on me.” Liyla gripped my shoulders and pulled me into a hug. I padded her back awkwardly, people don’t usually give me hugs. Mother hates contact with skin, unless she absolutely needs to. I barely see Father to give him a hug, he is always off to other countries to invest in allies, or meetings that I am forbidden to be involved in.
“Thank you for helping, I hope you won’t get in trouble if someone finds out you helped me escape.” I said and she waves my comment aside.

“It’s worth it, you deserve to have a happy life. And maybe you’ll find someone along the way, Maijah.” She said and I turned around. I couldn’t possibly fall in love with someone, I know they would betray me the second I let my guard down.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I pressed down on the button and the book shelf groaned and slowly opened. I gave Liyla one last look and exited into the unknown.

I had always played by the rules. Dress with poise and elegance. Never slouch at the dinner table. Always be early for an event. And the most important rule. Always hold my tongue. Father said my sarcastic remarks or rude comments will get me in trouble, and promised he would make sure of it. That was when I was fourteen, four years ago. Sometimes I have to hold my tongue so hard that it starts bleeding to make sure I wouldn’t say anything that will make father furious.

I traveled further and further through the underground tunnels that were underneath the castle. It wasn’t long before I heard the sounds of feet pounding on the floors from above and commotion that led to Guards yelling.

“The Princess is gone. I repeat, Princess Maijah is gone.” I sprinted after I had heard that, knowing they were searching every corner throughout the castle, and will surely start searching outside. I panted as I didn’t slow down, I had miles to go until the end of these tunnels. Darkness would soon stretch across the Candella skies and I would be left with nothing but the sound of creatures and the forest that I had to go through in order to reach a village to the West. Mother and father would know that I had left because of the wedding, and would go on a search party to bring me back home. They would punish me, severely I am most certain to that. And to Tomith, the man I was supposed to marry, I had no thought as what he would do to me. The more I thought about him, the faster I ran, wanted to be safe.

The Guards will for sure head East first, since the nearest village is there, and Mother knows that I love that village. My favorite shops and crafts are there, I even told her I wish I could lived there. She had yelled at me, saying I more than fortunate to live in such a beautiful palace, and I should be ashamed of myself for saying that.

Throughout my life I had no friends, except Liyla, but she was twelve years older than me, and was more of a mother figure. Since my own mother was always with father, or doing other duties that didn’t ever consist of me or my well being. When I had gotten influenza, Liyla had nursed me back to health. When I was a child and no one in the castle wanted to play a game, she was always there to make sure I wasn’t alone, that I had a life where I wasn’t secluded or isolated from the world. I know she wouldn’t tell a single soul if anyone asked her if she knew anything about where I had went. Like she said, she wanted me to live my life. To live a happy life.

I breathed in a sigh of relief when I saw light a short distance away from where I was. I walked up the steel pole and pulled the rusty door open, Liyla had found this years ago, but she had never answered back when I had questioned her how she found it. She only shrugged and said it didn’t matter.

I looked around and saw the sun was setting, and if I was still at the castle, the ceremony would start in less than a half hour. I weaved myself further into in the wood, my dress getting snagged by thorn but I kept going. It wasn’t long until the sun was gone and darkness had engulfed the forest. Howled and scuffles sounded around me and I looked around for a place to hide. I ran inside a small caves and opened my suitcase. T-shirts and jeans spilled out and I quickly grabbed some and changed. It hung loosely on me, making them feel strange on me. I was always used to silk soft, pajamas, or corsets that were strung tightly around me before I had to put on a dress. I huddled over to the corner of the cave, hoping tomorrow would be okay.

The Moon was high in the sky when I had fallen asleep. I wondered what was happening back at the castle. Would mother and father be more angry that worried. Are they crying since their only child is gone?

Probably not.

A stick suddenly snapped close by me and I held my breath. My heart was beating a thousand miles a minute. I peered through the darkness and hoped it was just a animal. I heard leaves crunch on the ground, the sound coming closer and closer to where I was hidden. I heard ragged breathing and knew it wasn’t an animal.