Isaac's Downfall | Teen Ink

Isaac's Downfall

October 26, 2016
By Anonymous

It it was a night like any other, I was sitting at my desk with piles of various cases. I was reading through one about a man named Isaac Gallivan. Sent to an asylum a few years back and broke out. I also checked out a kidnapping and a couple missing persons cases, the usual. Then, I got a call.
“Hey, we got a body here. You know, it's a real freak show. I’d describe it to ya, but it would be way easier for you to see it,” the man who called, was named Mac Rubar. He has been my partner for 2 years, and that’s longer than any other of my partners.
So, I rushed out of the head quarters, not forgetting my lucky revolver and hat.
Once I made it to the scene of the crime, It only took a second to notice the massive river of blood trailing from the bodies to me. I slowly walked across the bloody mess that was the back alley. The red and blue lights from the cars didn’t help. It made the crime scene look like a sick rave. Finally, I looked at the body. Someone had cut this poor guy up bad. But, I came here to do my job. And that’s just what I did. I took a quick gander at the cuts and stab wounds. Noticing that the wounds were jagged and crooked. The victim was a caucasian male, mid 30’s, black hair, and brown eyes. But that was pretty much it. I told the person in charge what my insights were, grabbed Mac, and headed back to station.
Once I made it to station, I wrote my report on the crime scene. After that I clocked out and left for home.
Once I got there I saw the lights were on in the house. All I could think was “Yes, I don’t have to eat something I made!” But, I honestly hate myself for that thought. I should have been thinking more about my lovely wife, instead of her lovely cooking.
I opened the door, “Honey, I’m home! Hey what are you cooking.” As I rounded the kitchen corner I saw her there. She was on the ground with the same jagged marks all along her body. Her lifeless corpse lying on the ground, in a pool of blood. I stupidly called for help. I was terrified I was looking at the corpse of my wife. Once I realized no one was coming, I looked outside of my living room window onto the street. To maybe see if the monster was still there. And you know what, I got lucky. I saw a hooded figure in black cloak. That was not normal. So, revolver in hand, I chased him. He was quick. Too bad he didn’t know the area very well. He ran into a dead end. It was tall fence with pointed steel spikes at the top. But, he climbed it. He almost got away unscathed except, The fence was way sharper than it looked. He cut himself and left a small chunk of his cloak behind. I wish I had fired. I honestly should have, but I thought he wouldn’t make it over the fence. My wife’s killer got away that time because I was to c***y to end it.
I climbed as best I could to pluck the piece of fabric of the fence. It had a splash of blood on it.
I walked to my house to get to my landline to call the station.
It took what felt like hours for Mac and the rest of the police officers to get here. I told Mac and another homicide detective. My story. It was the first time I had ever cried in front of anybody in years. I showed them the cloth and the other detective took it to someone working in forensics to see who murdered my wife. After, all that, Someone from the funeral home came to schedule my wife’s burial. It was probably Mac trying to make This be over quicker so I didn’t have to deal with it longer. It was a good gesture, but I couldn’t do it. Not know.
A few days had passed. A few depressing and angry day. I waited for the moment I would find the man that killed her. I honestly don’t know what I would do if I was going to kill him or hurt him really bad. All I knew was that he was going to pay.
The results came in. The man who killed my innocent wife was Solomon Quinn. A know associate of Isaac Gallivan. So whatever was going on, Isaac and Solomon were together in it. And now we knew exactly where to catch the monsters that caused her death.
We had finally made it. A small team of three, but just enough to take down two murderers. The team was made up of myself, Mac, and my Captain Don Ford. He was my captain 2 years running. He had been my captain as long as Mac had been my partner.
It was time to finish this. Right here. Right now. Gallivan and Quinn were going to feel my wrath.
We cleared the building and finally ended up at the door. We quickly breached the room only to find a gross effigy of some sort of creature in the center of the room. The room had bodies scattered everywhere, with marks just like the crime scene and my wife. Except these one’s had their organs removed for the effigy. There had to be at least a dozen cultists in there all armed and dangerous with jagged knives. It only took them a moment to realize that they should attack. Unfortunately, it only took us half that long to realize that we needed to open fire. So that is what happened. We won by a landslide. One of them slashed Don’s arm. That was the only casualty. Solomon was down, but Gallivan was clever. He knew they were going to lose the fight. He escaped out of the fire escape.
He was almost out of the parking lot by the time we saw him. But, I was not going to let that murderer get away. With one clean shot Gallivan was down for the count. With the death of Isaac Gallivan I finally felt ready to set up funeral plans.
It was the day of my wife’s funeral when I saw him. Isaac. I knew he was dead so how was he there. Leaning on a tree at my wife’s funeral. I abruptly left to run at him. Once I made it there he was gone. But, he hadn’t even moved.
I went back to finish the funeral.
Once I made it to my home, I hung my hat and looked out the window to see Isaac. Was this some kind of sick joke. I don’t know. After awhile I stopped chasing after Isaac. I came to the conclusion that I was never going to get away. I was going to have to live my life being haunted by him. I have come to peace with this.


The author's comments:

I just really like cliche detectives.