The Creature at Miller River | Teen Ink

The Creature at Miller River

October 25, 2016
By Brock_Poe BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
Brock_Poe BRONZE, Warsaw, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I took a step into the cold crisp water and grasped my breath. The cold river water and the mountains in the background, there’s nothing better. I watched as a school of trout swam by.
“This is gonna be a good day,” I said underneath my breath. It was a long day and I was bound to catch at least one fish.
“Come on let’s go,” Cody yelled.
Cody was my best friend, has been since third grade in fact. He was tall, muscular, and humble. His hair was perfectly slicked back, tight in the sides and longer on top. Unlike me he was nicely groomed as well. I had straggly long hair just above my eyebrows and a little peach fuzz just on my top lip.
“Wake up for what?”
“Fishing you idiot, don’t you remember yesterday when you said you wanted to?”
“Oh, yea,” I said finally not too happy.
Cody pulled my sheets off my bed and waited for me to change. We were going to a legendary river named “Miller River” in a small town in Montana, named after old man River who caught a ten plus pound bass in these waters. His record has remained for forty years, but Cody and I were looking to break that. Rumor had it that there was a twelve pounder that roamed that creek early in the morning. That’s the one we hunted for since we were ten years old, four years later and we still hadn’t caught it.
We got to the river and caught a couple fish before I noticed something odd off in the distance.
“What is that?” I asked Cody worried.
“I’ve never seen anything like that before” Cody said with a weak shaky voice.
This creature or human was big. I’d say seven feet tall and five hundred pounds. I yelled
“Heyyyy,” I screamed with everything I had.
The creature was standing on two feet. He ran like nothing I’d ever seen in my life. Cody and I figured it was best to go home and talk about what happed.
“We can’t tell anyone about this,” I said trying not to yell.
“And why can’t we Max?” Cody responded angrily.
“The whole town will find out about it, and we’ll lose our prime fishing spot,”
“Ok, ok, I won’t speak of it,” Cody said in a frustrated voice.
That next morning Cody and I went down to the river again, but it wasn’t to fish. We thought about what we saw the day before all night and barely got any sleep. I thought maybe it was just some guy wearing a black or brown jacket and pants, but a five-hundred-pound man running that fast didn’t make any sense. We were at the river, but up on the mountains scouting to find this thing we were looking for.
Two hours later we saw it, clear as day. It was there and only about one hundred yards away.
“Don’t move,” Cody whispered
“Wasn’t planning on it,” I said swallowing hard.
He looked up, he saw us, but instead of running he ran right towards us.
“GOOOOO,” Cody screamed at me.
We ran, we dodged, but the thing was still there.
“Why won’t he just stop chasing us?” I yelled to Cody with a voice so scared.
“No time to think, just move your butt faster,” Cody said, mad that I asked.
We jumped on an old abandoned building in the middle of a hay field trying to hide from this thing. We laid on our stomach watching this out of this world thing scavenge for us.
“We’ve gotta get out of here man,” Cody said to me with the most scared face I’ve ever seen.
“Then can we please go? My mom’s probably worrying,” I said thinking about my mom.
Finally, we got home and ran up to my bedroom. We tried to avoid anyone in the house, we didn’t want to forget anything that happened.
“Thank God that’s over,” I said.
“I wouldn’t speak too soon,” yelled Cody.
“He’s not out there is he?” I said trying to be quiet.
“He’s out there.” Cody whispered across my bedroom.
The creature was standing right outside of my window looking up at the window. Cody ducked behind the blinds.
“What can we do?” Cody said almost yelling.
“Nothing, I’m not going out there to fight it,” I yelled at Cody.
“Well I am,” Cody said trying to have a brave non shaky voice.
“Why would you do that? You’re fourteen. Do you really want to die at fourteen?” I ask Cody.
“We won’t have any peace if I don’t. You gonna help me or sit here and watch me?” Cody asked me as if it was a commandment to go with him.
“Let’s go,” I said disappointed.
We walked outside, I grabbed a baseball bat but Cody grabbed nothing. This shocked me, I don’t understand what he’s going to do without a weapon. We took the first steps outside and saw the thing. Cody grabbed a rock.
“David and Goliath,” I whispered.
“1 Samuel: 17,” Cody whispered.
Cody c***ed his short stop arm back and stoned the creature once in the temple. The creature fell, but not dead. Cody ran up to the creature and kicked it. The thing arose and pounced on Cody. Blood dripped on Cody from the creature’s temple. I had to do something.
“Help,” Cody screamed.
I ran to him and cracked the creature in the same temple area with the bat. I heard a breaking noise and the creature stood up and stumbled back, finally it fell… for good.
“Thank you man. You saved my life,” Cody said to me almost in tears.
“I can’t let you die,” I told Cody.
“I really thought I was gonna die until you came in,” Cody told me I a serious manner.
Cody and I hid the body in weeds that were about six feet high and put a small fallen tree over top of that to hide the body a little better. It was a struggle to get the thing in the weeds because of the fact that it weighed five-hundred-pounds. Since that day we’ve never talked about it. Cody and I are now thirty-five years old and have our own families, although we still fish that same river that we did twenty-one years ago.  Old Man Rivers died about three years after we had the encounter with the beast of a creature. We paid our tribute to him after I caught a twelve-pound largemouth bass about two years back thanks to the help of Cody. Cody and I have never seen any other creatures, and we’ve never found out where it came from or how it got there. The one thing that I do know is that Cody and I have never and never will see anything like that again.
“Let’s take the kids fishing,” Cody told me.
“Just like old times?” I asked.
“Just like old times,” Cody said with a smirk on his face.