Skinner | Teen Ink

Skinner

December 9, 2016
By ylime.g BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
ylime.g BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I never realized how dark the night could really be. The wind blew like a minty breath on my skin. Blinking became unnoticed with no difference was made whether my eyes were open or closed. The trees surrounded my body and I became tenacious. The dark air encapsulated my lungs. Thick yet thin...walking only made my fears taken like the brush ahead. A twig snaps right behind me. My heart falls into the pit of my stomach and I dropped to my knees. ‘This is how it ends’ I think to myself as my body tightens. I take in the blindness I will never part from and welcome death with each second . My sister Clara is nowhere to be found and thoughts of her lifeless body possibly somewhere in these woods with him...she was all I had. Searching was of no use and calling would just be maladroit.

Since my eyes were of no use to me so I had to resort to calling out her name. Blood shoved through my veins as prepared to call out her name. Deep breath.
“Clara…” I said.
I paused, hearing the subtle movement of the trees being brushed by the wind. I tried to speak louder.
“Clara!” This time the wind didn't blow. All I could hear was my blood pumping in my ears; I even thought that maybe could actually hear myself think. Until I felt something behind me. I couldn't tell if it was a person animal or if it was even anything at all it didn't feel right. Turning around would've made no difference so I thought that maybe it was Clara.
“Clara?” I whispered. I wasn't sure but sure at the same time the confliction only made me more fearsome. But then I noticed breathing. The breathing did not sound like Clara in fact it sounded almost like a man was there. My fate became more to sure as I felt my ability to live being stripped away from me. I knew that he killed her I knew that I was next... Yeah I knew I could do nothing about my defeat, but it was everything I unfettered. As I felt his warm bloody hands grab my neck. A part of me really took the time to try to understand this obsession with his killing spree. The thought of my sister's’ death was the paradigm of my own demise. Now I was fervent. I knew why it's called Skinner I mean we all knew about him for years and yet it seemed as if he left out every single possible sample of evidence yet and we don't even know if this truly is a doing of a person, but I was going to find out.
I was calm and he didn't question me. I was moved through the dark and I was brought to a cellar. I decided not to look at this face until I was ready I felt his firm hands on my wrists as he shackled me to a table. Again I did not resist but by now he questioned as to why a man like myself wouldn't be fighting back.
“Whatever you're trying to do won't work.”
I responded, “What I'm trying to do is learn from you”
He held out a chuckle, “You think you're so smart. Do you really understand or even remotely think you know my purpose.”
“I would if you told me.”
“One does not reveal their own purpose yet can show it” he said as he picked up a small nail clipper. I told him as he proceeded to clip my fingernails from there he just does the bully lift up my skin underneath my nail the blood dripped instantly as he peeled back slowly with a growing grin as the long brown curls of his sweaty hair had draped over his head as he carefully repeated this to each and every one of my fingers and little by little my pain started leaving me as I slowly begin to understand. His need was for such satisfaction and some was mine as I began to feel the same way. My thoughts for Clara begin to fade as I started to accept her death and more so numbed my senses. A smile for each slab of skin off my body while I was still awake let him know that he was fulfilling my purpose.