The Field | Teen Ink

The Field

Avery, Nebraska is a small community.  It has one grocery store, one gas station, and one post office.  There are only about 600 people that live in the area.  The population of the town are most corn farmers.  The corn fields that surround Avery, Nebraska are dense and bountiful.  Everywhere you look: out the window, standing outside, or even the reflections in the water, there are cornstalks.
The McCrory family lived on the south-east edge of Avery.  An old, vintage, red farm house is what they called home.  Their family has occupied the residence for over three generations, and they are well known throughout the community.
There was Jerry, the patriarch of the McCrory’s.  He grew up the son of a corn farmer, and a corn farmer he became.  A tough father, he expected only the best out of his children, whether it be when they are out in the corn fields, or in school.  Patricia, his wife, was a loving mother to her kids and had a heart warmer than the sun.  Her famous apple pie was known all over Avery.
Simon, the eldest son, was a headstrong, and capable young man.  At the time he was 18 years old, about six feet tall, and had sandy blonde hair.  He always wore the same type of outfit: a thick flannel shirt, Levi’s jeans, and sturdy brown boots.  Every morning he would go out for hours in the corn fields to work for the family farm.  And every night, Simon would come home in time for supper.  He never missed supper.
Finally there was Jim, the youngest of the two children.  He was 11 years old, and bright for his age.  He looked up to his older brother a lot.  Even though they had seven years between them in age, they were extremely close.  Simon and Jim did a lot together, and they were homeschooled by their parents, so they were always around each other.  The only times that Simon and Jim were not together was when Simon went to the fields.
Jim worked on the family farm too, but he was not allowed in the fields.  Instead, he would shuck the corn back at the barn after Simon would bring back the corn.  He would always ask Simon to bring him into the corn fields, but Simon would always say the same thing:
“You don’t ever go into the cornfields, Jim.  Ya understand?”
“Yeah alright,” Jim would always respond with a sulk.
For years and years, every since he could remember, Jim has wanted to go into those cornfields that surround his house.  He’d gone into other corn fields before, on other people’s property or on the other end of town.  But he had never, in all of his eleven years alive, been in the McCrory cornfields.  That was, until one day.
The day was October 8th, 1977.  Jim McCrory would never forget that day.  It was a normal, autumn morning and nothing was out of the usual.  Jim was working on some school assignments his mother had assigned him at the kitchen table.  It was about seven in the morning, and Simon stomped down the stairs, obviously half asleep.  He was ready to start his day by going into the corn fields.  He slumped over to the counter and grabbed an apple, and bit into it as he ruffled Jim’s hair with his hand.
“Ya goin’ out to the fields, Simon?” said Jim fixing his hair.
“Sure am. Just about to head out,” Simon said as he said down to lace up his boots.
He stood up and grabbed a black Carhartt jacket that was hanging on the coat rack next to him.  He winked at Jim as he finished his apple, tossed it in the waste basket, and walked outside.  In moments, Simon was gone and disappeared into the cornfields.  Jim, like always, was curious of what happened when Simon went to the fields, but he buried his thoughts like usual and thought nothing of it.
A few hours went by, and Jim was in the barn.  He was doing his normal job: shucking corn and getting it ready to be sent off to be sold.  Simon usually came back for a lunch break, but on this particular day, he never returned.  A few more hours went by, and it was time for supper.  Still, Simon had not returned.  He had never missed supper before.  Jerry went out to look for him, but he came back without any signs of him.  They decided to eat anyway.
Patricia started to worry, “Simon never misses supper. . .I hope he is okay…”
“I’m sure he’s fine, Pat,” Jerry said as he took a bite of potato, “We’ll send Jim to go look for him when he is done eating.”
Jim, surprised, responded, “But, Simon never takes me out to the fields.  He always says I can’t-”
“Nonsense,” interrupted Jerry, “You’re fine, you’re a big kid now.  I’m sure Simon just lost track of time out there.  You’ll be okay.”
Jim finished his food and got up to leave.  He grabbed his jacket and shoes and sped out the door, heading towards the cornfield.  It was straight in front of him; the stalks were all taller than he was, and the field was huge, covering several acres.  There was the beginning of a small path at the edge of the field, and Jim entered there.
Jim continued through the field.  Eventually, the path ended and he had to brush his way through the stalks to continue.  It was getting dark out, and he did not have a source of light.  He called out to Simon, “Simon!  Are you out here?”
Suddenly, an ear-deafening screech echoed from the center of the field.  Startled, Jim continued to head that way.  Eventually, he found himself in a cut out area.  It was circular, and about 20 feet wide.  Confused, Jim looked around, and he noticed a small, silver hatch in the middle of the circle.  He walked over to it cautiously.  It was dirty and rusty, with a large handle in the middle of it.  Intrigued, Jim turned the handle, and with a loud creak, it opened.
Below him, he peered through the hatch.  It was pitch black inside, with no bottom that he could see.  He stuck his head in a little and his voice echoed through it, “Hello?” he asked.
Suddenly, something grabbed him from behind and pulled him backwards.  It was Simon.  “What are you doing out here?!  Haven’t I told you enough times not to come out here?”
“Dad sent me out to get you. . .you weren’t back in time for supper,” replied Jim.
“It doesn’t matter, we don’t have much time.  We gotta get outta here now!”
The screech was heard again, this time coming from inside the hatch.  Out of nowhere, a huge, black creature sprung out of it.  It was about 7 feet tall, and it had tentacles all over its body.  Its eyes were black, like a void, as though there were none there.  It let out a horrific screech again, “SCCRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!”
Simon grabbed Jim by the collar and hoisted him up, “Run!” he shouted.  Simon and Jim began sprinting back towards the house.  Jim tripped on a stalk of corn and fell.  Simon stopped running and looked back.  The creature was right on his tail, but Simon knelt down to help Jim up.  Jim got back to his feet, and one of the creature’s tentacles grabbed Simon.
“Simon!” Jim shouted as he grabbed Simon’s hand and yanked on it.
“Go!  It’s okay!” yelled Simon in return, “Just run, I’ll be fine!”
Reluctantly, Jim turned around and ran towards the house.  He made it back to the house before he turned around to look.  There was no sign of either the creature or Simon.  The only thing that happened was one last screech, louder than the others.  Jim began to cry, and he ran in to get his parents.
Nobody ever found Simon that day.  The police were called, including the state troopers.  The entire corn field was searched, with no sign of the creature or Simon.  The hatch was found and searched, but nothing but a cold dark room was down there.  Jerry and Patricia knew nothing about the hatch, and they did not believe Jim when he told them what happened.  A police report was filed referencing the creature, but the investigation stopped there.
Jim never saw Simon or the creature again.  There were so many questions that he still had.  What was the creature?  Did Simon know about it?  Why was there a hatch in the middle of the corn field?  Is this the reason that Simon never let him go into the corn field with him?  To this day, Jim continues to search for clues, trying to find the truth.  Since the incident, he has become a paranormal investigator, looking into different cases about creatures with the same description as the one from that horrible October night.  He vows to never rest until he discovers the truth.  

This is a fiction piece I had to write