Click, Click, Click | Teen Ink

Click, Click, Click

May 25, 2018
By Anonymous

Her fingers pound on the keys, repeating the same word over and over again. As the click of heels hit the tile floor, eyes watch every stroke hitting the keys in perfect sync. Keys typing in perfect rhythm, one wrong key and— heels hit the floor quickly to where she is sitting. The heels slow as she crept closer and closer. Her nerves are crackling with electricity burning down every fiber of her being.  Heels click to a stop behind her. Warm moist breath hits the nape of her neck, a bead of sweat drips down her forehead. The bead of sweat travels down the side of her cheek—  to her chin dangling. She swears in her head, hoping it doesn't fall if it falls then it's over. The bead of sweat drops falling onto the black silk skirt. Heels click one step to the right, her eyes shift to the corner to find a boy no older than her. His eyes trailed over to her, she moved her eyes forward towards her screen as the word she types fill the two hundredth page.
Keys continue typing as the boy screams; however, her eyes cannot help but wander towards him. Heels click against the tile as the boy is dragged across the cold checkered floor. He screams until the loud metal door clasps shut and a snap of the lock. She lets out a small sigh of relief. Her hands ache from the typing and wish she could stop, but it was a law that every student to practice the perfection of typing for the ever-changing form of technology. A loud buzzer fills the room, it shrieks like a banshee.
Everyone rises around her and scurries out the door, the other girl in this class lays her hand on my shoulder. My skin soaking up the heat it offers.
The other girl states, “You know we may be the only girls in the class, but that doesn't mean you can’t take a break. Who cares what the boys think of us, yes, we are women but that doesn't mean we will be treated lesser than them. The government will simply not allow it.”
She was right, but the other girl just wants to prove herself to the others that she can be beat Kira. However, Kira will be whatever she wishes to be. She will prove to the others in her colony that she is the best.
“Go on without me I’m gonna stay and practice some more,” she offers a smile to the other girl.
The other girl frowns, but walks towards the door, left right, left right, in perfect rhythm. Kira sighs as the only possible person in this world she could consider a friend leaves the room. Resuming her typing the girl's fingers pick up speed with every word she writes. She's had enough practice it's the same word over and over again.
Her hands start to move in an unfamiliar pattern as she begins to type something different: different words, different keys on the board, and different feelings. She turned her head to look up at the cameras in the room. Her seat was out of view of the three cameras in the upper left, right, and lower right. She shifts her head to cover up the line of view of the camera in the lower left corner. Her head turns back the digital screen and cracks her knuckles, time to get down to business.
She motioned her hands back to the keyboard as she heard, click click click.
Her hands freeze, images of how the boy was dragged out of the lab and moved into the room flashes in her mind. No one has ever come back out of that door. The click of heels draws closer to her. The girl wracked her brain for something to do, anything!
She scans the key for something to erase the words she had typed, she’ll never make it. The tortures of what lies beyond that steel door. She saw the word “backspace” and held her pointer finger there. All of the words were gone, only a blank screen shown before her.
Her lungs burnt like flames consuming a forest, she releases her breath.  The click of heels stop. A familiar breath travels down her neck.
“Wow. I’m surprised you didn’t write anything. And I was going to tell the governor of your outstanding achievements. Maybe you weren’t something special after all,” her breath leaves balls of water on the hairs of the girl's neck, “You're just like everyone else.”


The author's comments:

What inspired me to write this piece was after reading, The Giver. I thought of how dytopians are and what it would be like if technology was the only important thing. Then, I thought of how we had to work on our key skills in school. I hope people will get the sense of mystery and fear; however this fear dosen't have to consume them like the main character.