Silent No More | Teen Ink

Silent No More MAG

“Is he gay?”
"I think so.”
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure.”
“Ask him.”
“Hey, are you–”

The last period bell cut off the cacophony of fresh gossip. My ears burned with embarrassment, and I walked away as quickly as possible, feeling clunky and awkward. There had always been rumors about my sexual orientation, but the painfully straightforward questions made me cringe. I tried to shrug off the girls' malice as ignorance, but I became preoccupied with thought. My blood rose with anger as I heard their laughter in the background. Inhibitions blinded, I rashly shouted, “Some people are so rude!”

“You f-----t!”

“Wow! I haven't heard that before. You have to be the wittiest people I've encountered.”

This would have been a perfect response if I had said it aloud. In reality, as a shy, easily embarrassed freshman, I had yet to stand up for myself, let alone defend my sexual orientation. I wanted to tell someone what had happened, but I was too embarrassed by the situation. I had experienced gay jokes and “playful” comments before, but the hateful word those girls had used felt like a knife in my chest. A myriad of insecurity, second-guessing, and self-denial ­silenced me.

After weeks of agonizing and hiding the secret, I promised myself that I would never be silenced again. Gradually, I came out to my closest friends, then my sister, and finally my parents. With their support, I grew more comfortable, and I saw changes in my disposition. My face no longer reddened at the mention of homosexuality, and instead of slouching away from intrusive questions, I proudly proclaimed, “Yes, I am gay.”

It is difficult for me to pinpoint the moment of my epiphany, but as I gained confidence, I was finally able to face the ignorance and homophobia in my school. I spoke up with authority, and people began to listen and respect me. They recognized that I was not weak because of my sexual orientation and that I would not degrade myself with silence.

I became a leader in my school, and during sophomore year, I joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. My participation has helped me accept myself and forgive those girls and the others who have hurt me with their ignorance.

Hate is unproductive. I've learned that I cannot hold grudges or become bitter toward people who try to hurt me; their hate comes from misinformation and ignorance. My experiences have helped me to better understand homophobic people and to see the good in many of them.

My trials have been a blessing in disguise. Though I was knocked down, I built myself back up with clear goals and responsibilities. I now have two objectives: to provide a safe community for gay students, and to educate those who harass us.

on Feb. 23 at 3:29 pm
EdwinBeck SILVER, Livonia, Michigan

The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much and forgetting that you are special too. - Ernest Hemingway

I relate to this! The writing is absolutely wonderful as well! I hope that bullying situations slowly start to go away :)

AthenatheGoddess PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

Look, I didn't want to be a halfblood."

I'm so happy you were supported for who you were! This is a great writing and the beginning hooked me on from the first glance. Keep Writing!

WILLYROCKS said...
WILLYROCKS, Orlando, Florida
I'm so sorry that it happened to you

mil13 BRONZE said...
mil13 BRONZE, Springboro, Pennsylvania
i'm not lgbt but i get bullyed just for liveing and working on a farm so whats the problem no one likes bullying

mil13 BRONZE said...
mil13 BRONZE, Springboro, Pennsylvania
i stand with the non bullying pepole just for thier gender

CatNovelist GOLD, Berkeley, California

"If you can quit writing, then quit. If you can't quit, you're a writer."

This is a really powerful piece of writing. Here's to you.

malikgoodcake GOLD, Sacramento, California
You should not bully anyone. You don't know what they been through. Ultimately you shouldn't bully others on their appearance and personality.

BecomingCameron00 BRONZE, Plato, Missouri

Your hero wears a cape, mine wears a binder, It's not a bad life its just a bad day

when i came out as transgender everyone sees me as some freak of nature an i don't have the guts to stand up to the bullies an i get the gender rolls thrown at me as well

i can relate to this so much because i am Transgender and i am known as the tranny kid at my school an it sucks because i am so used to bullying, but its only my second week of school

bo_olsen PLATINUM, Nampa, Idaho

"I Solemnly Swear That I Am Up To No Good"

I can relate to bullying about my sexuality, because I recently came out as gender fluid, and people are always throwing gender specific pronouns at me, although I am not brave enough to say that my hardships have been a blessing, because they haven't to me. I am a coward of sorts, and surprised at myself for even coming out at all. Cheers to you!

eshaansoman SILVER, Hillsborough, New Jersey
good story, w/ classic ending! check out my work too if you have a chance!

hailey011001 said...
hailey011001,
You are very brave, many others wouldn't have your courage. Keep strong, I am so glad you have gotten to the point of acceptance. :)

ramosfreddy BRONZE, Sacramento, California
pretty cool that you are able to do all this. love this story.

GeriskHer BRONZE, Sacramento, California
pretty cool that you're able to do all of this. not a lot of people that i know of, would have been able to done what you have done.

PersonMan said...
Perfect reaction. Honestly, who cares what they think of you? The people that truly are your friends are those who can accept such facts. I mean, what's wrong with homosexuality? Maybe I'm saying this because I'm bisexual, but still. It's really not that big of a deal, and if people make it, screw them! There are other people.

NinjaEmily BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
I wish people could be strong like this. Sure it takes awhile, but we all need to be strong

H3LLBORN said...
H3LLBORN,
Whatever comes, just face it. It will be fine for its ur life and its u who is living it.Stand up for what u feel is right for u.

ethereal_dar GOLD, Manila, Other
im not belong from an lgbt group but i am bullied due to my physical appearance and now i felt motivated and i will do my deeds to be a better one like you :)

Peanutgirl99 GOLD, Middleville, Michigan

You fall, you rise, you make mistakes, you live and learn. You're human, not perfect. You've been hurt but, you're alive - to breathe to think, to enjoy, and chase the things you love. Sometimes, there is sadness in our journey but, there is also lots of joy. We must keep putting one foot in front of the other even when we hurt. For we will never know what is waiting for us around the bend

This is extremely powerful. Good job

gio2656 said...
gio2656, Easley, South Carolina

gio

this really hit home.