Silent No More | Teen Ink

Silent No More MAG

“Is he gay?”
"I think so.”
“Yeah, I'm pretty sure.”
“Ask him.”
“Hey, are you–”

The last period bell cut off the cacophony of fresh gossip. My ears burned with embarrassment, and I walked away as quickly as possible, feeling clunky and awkward. There had always been rumors about my sexual orientation, but the painfully straightforward questions made me cringe. I tried to shrug off the girls' malice as ignorance, but I became preoccupied with thought. My blood rose with anger as I heard their laughter in the background. Inhibitions blinded, I rashly shouted, “Some people are so rude!”

“You f-----t!”

“Wow! I haven't heard that before. You have to be the wittiest people I've encountered.”

This would have been a perfect response if I had said it aloud. In reality, as a shy, easily embarrassed freshman, I had yet to stand up for myself, let alone defend my sexual orientation. I wanted to tell someone what had happened, but I was too embarrassed by the situation. I had experienced gay jokes and “playful” comments before, but the hateful word those girls had used felt like a knife in my chest. A myriad of insecurity, second-guessing, and self-denial ­silenced me.

After weeks of agonizing and hiding the secret, I promised myself that I would never be silenced again. Gradually, I came out to my closest friends, then my sister, and finally my parents. With their support, I grew more comfortable, and I saw changes in my disposition. My face no longer reddened at the mention of homosexuality, and instead of slouching away from intrusive questions, I proudly proclaimed, “Yes, I am gay.”

It is difficult for me to pinpoint the moment of my epiphany, but as I gained confidence, I was finally able to face the ignorance and homophobia in my school. I spoke up with authority, and people began to listen and respect me. They recognized that I was not weak because of my sexual orientation and that I would not degrade myself with silence.

I became a leader in my school, and during sophomore year, I joined the Gay-Straight Alliance. My participation has helped me accept myself and forgive those girls and the others who have hurt me with their ignorance.

Hate is unproductive. I've learned that I cannot hold grudges or become bitter toward people who try to hurt me; their hate comes from misinformation and ignorance. My experiences have helped me to better understand homophobic people and to see the good in many of them.

My trials have been a blessing in disguise. Though I was knocked down, I built myself back up with clear goals and responsibilities. I now have two objectives: to provide a safe community for gay students, and to educate those who harass us.

Asuna BRONZE said...
Asuna BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas

“Stand up and walk. Keep moving forward. You've got two good legs. So get up and use them. You're strong enough to make your own path."-Edward Elric
Voiced: Romi Park and Vic Mignogna

this comment...is perfect...

AlliNeedisMusic SILVER, Easley, South Carolina

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

I agree!!!

It is about time we stand up for EVERYONE, not just those who are "Normal". Be proud of who you are! I am tortured on a daily basis because I am unsure about my sexuality, but I just try to keep my head up and stay positive.

PoojaYuki said...
PoojaYuki, Kathmandu, Other

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
-Edgar Allan Poe

I'm bisexual myself and when i first came out (which was last year)..I received a lot of hate; both online and in real life but its better now. I wish I could tell my parents and my cousins but they're all pretty much very narrow-minded and wouldnt accept my orientation.

lourdez said...
lourdez, Merced, California
that is right no talking abut others if u dont know the whole story

lourdez said...
lourdez, Merced, California
is kind of mean os people gossiping about others race

Zarie2015 said...
No matter what people say always keep your head up. Sexuality is no one else's business. You have the right to say nothing when some one is asking you a question

Apostolic-Girl SILVER, Athens, Ohio

...But there are still stars in the dark night sky...

I have to say that I liked your writing. I hate how if people don't like the fact that you gay, they are rude and hateful. Even though I believe that being gay is wrong I still treat people with respect because no one deserves to be treated so cruely. But now homosexualism is so common that not many people say its wrong... because if you say that being gay is wrong, you are hating them. but the truth is that i love all people which is why it's hard for me to say that them being a homosexual is wrong. I hate having to be the different one to "judge" people... I just wan't to help them...

Dimitri.V said...
on Sep. 9 2014 at 11:41 am
Dimitri.V, Moscow, Other

"Live life like it's the end of time"

This story is great, you are a strong person

The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska

"And when you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I applaud your honesty and courage, and your writing skill.

Blackjack. GOLD, Suffolk, Virginia

"Take a lesson from "the Greatest Man That Ever Lived," Austin Aries. The ambition and vision of one depends on how bad@ss they look in sunglasses." - Me, 2017

"Who is this Jose, and why is he always being denied?" - Corey Graves, 2016

*starts claping*   Bravo. Bravo. This is great.

booklover1234567 SILVER, Augusta, Maine
I love this article! 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Way to go! My friend had to deal with the same thing when he came out to the public. A lot of people rejected him, and he didn't let that stop him. Now, he's so proud. I can't even tell you how proud he is. But way to go! I love how you wrote this; it's so heartfelt but also straight to the point.

dmax108 BRONZE said...
dmax108 BRONZE, Burley, Idaho

love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.

its good to know others understand  

dmax108 BRONZE said...
dmax108 BRONZE, Burley, Idaho

hey poster i want to talk to u  

dmax108 BRONZE said...
dmax108 BRONZE, Burley, Idaho

can we talk

dmax108 BRONZE said...
dmax108 BRONZE, Burley, Idaho

dude ur alot better than me i punch people who make fun of me being  bisexual  and recently i just completely shut down 

perley209 said...
perley209, Henderson, Nevada
You go bro! Show all of them the cannot trample all over you!

Jules12321 said...
Jules12321, Monticello, Illinois
your writing is great

InTheAsylum SILVER, Henrico, Virginia

Writing with a white crayon on white paper is like loving someone who doesn't like you back....It marks but, always invisible

I can really say that I have observed the same terrible things go on in my school. I was even on your end of it. Making me appreciate this more.