The Reflection | Teen Ink

The Reflection

By Syra.Aris SILVER, Ocala, Florida
Syra.Aris SILVER, Ocala, Florida

If you love something, let it go. If it loves you, it shall come back. If it doesn't, it was never yours.

Sometimes she'll look in the mirror,
And won't like what she sees.
She sees a girl living a lie,
Hiding behind her blotchy makeup,
Trying her best to be normal,
But failing to the fullest extent.
She sees a girl afraid of her own shadow,
Scared of what the world may think of her,
Tired of hiding among the shadows.
She sees a girl who wants out,
To be able to speak for herself,
To be able to live her life without being criticized,
To live a bully-free life.
Yet she sees a girl who can't control that,
Who is discouraged so often,
Who is tired of trying.
She sees a girl who has given up,
Who has had other people treat her like dirt,
And let them get away with it.
She sees a girl whose blade is her only friend,
And then she is tired of her reflection,
So she breaks the mirror,
And uses the glass to penetrate her sinful, needy wrists.
It's the only thing she's ever known.

This is just a free verse about a girl who has been bullied and what she is going through as a bully victim. It is an emotional piece, indeed.

mooooe said...
I really enjoyed the way you expressed about bullying into like a poem, I undersrand how you felt at the time that was really hard and lonely.BUT think this way... you are bullying because you got too much attention from others. they were probably jealous of you. Be positive and proud of yourself the way you are now. Others can cheer you and help you by saying words, but you need to make a change. Don't be negative... stand up for yourself!! If you don't like the way the others treat you now, tell them that you do not like it. they would probably not knoe how you felt. It would be really hard to stand up, but if you keep going the way it is now, do you want your teenage life to be like this until you get 20?? no... right? so it is the time to make change!! You parents and teachers... and also I will cheer you!! we will be always by yourside!! good luck! 

AlexisOlsen said...
on Sep. 18 2013 at 10:03 am
AlexisOlsen, Reykjavík, Other

"A girl doesn't need anyone who doesn't need her" - Marilyn Monroe.

When I was reading this story I could feel every feeling that you have felt, because I and some of my friends have felt this way. There is nothing that other can do, you only can make a change. Stand up for yourself, everyone is beautiful in their own way, and nobody‘s perfect!
It will be hard, but I promise that it will be better, if you only make a change and will love yourself more, get more confidence, it will be better, kids are just jealous of you, that’s why they make you feel bad. Kids find your weak point that you have and use that to make you feel bad and worthless. You just have to make them notice that you don‘t have one. So say to yourself every morning that everything will be better and compliment yourself when you look in the mirror, stop cutting yourself, get help from your parents or a psychologist; they will help you!. And good luck in life, just promise, don’t kill yourself, There is so much that you haven’t experienced, and tried so good luck :)