The Girl Who Turned in Alexander Carter's Math Homework | Teen Ink

The Girl Who Turned in Alexander Carter's Math Homework

By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

"Shut up, you nerd. Nobody cares."

I watched as the helpless, tiny boy with glasses that barely traced his eyes was shoved against the wall, papers flying everywhere and evil laughter sprinkling through the air. My eyes hurt just looking at the poor boy, and I stumbled forward to help retrieve his paperwork. He sent a half-smile in my direction, but it was replaced by wide eyes and a twisted, confused mouth when I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw a shadow pass over the boy's face.

"So, you've decided to help him out, eh?"

I gulped and did not turn around. I had no nerve, my hands were shaking, and my glasses were about as bad as the boy's had been.

"Cute. Nerd love. See this, guys? It's nerd love."

Laughter peppered the air again, and I could feel it burning my tongue, persuading me to speak.
The hard hands pushed me against the wall, spraying the boy's papers that I had been trying to retrieve all over the hallway.

"Nerd love," he whimpered sarcastically, "Too cute."

He followed his words with another shove on my shoulders and more peppery laughter. He turned slowly, but whipped himself around again and said, "Better watch out, nerds. The teachers are watching."
He and his buddies laughed together and walked away.

I turned to look at the boy and collect the scattered papers.

He was gone.

I bent to pick up the nearest paper; it was some complicated math that I had yet to solve. However, the boy had easily deciphered each problem with neat script. I looked at the page behind it, expecting to see the complicated work behind the neat answers.

That is not what I saw.

There was a note from the boy.

The note was in neat script.

I read:

To whom it may concern,

I've been bullied throughout my entire existence up until now, and I honestly can't stand it anymore.
My name is Alexander Carter, and I don't want to live on this Earth anymore. Don't try and stop me. By the time somebody important reads this letter, I'll be long gone. Don't miss me.

Make sure my math teacher gets my homework.

Sincerely,
Alexander Carter

I hope that this is insightful and that you can get a great meaning and moral from this story. Thank you so much for reading. It honestly does mean a lot.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you so much.

BGIRL4LIFE BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"I WAS BORN TO MAKE MISTAKES, BUT NOT FAKE PERFECTION"-DRIZZY DRAKE

@TaylorWintry awesome job and keep up the good work:)

ColdplayForever BRONZE, San Jose, California

"Coldplay fans are the best in the world. If you like Coldplay, then you're obviously very intelligent, good-looking, and all-around brilliant."
~Chris Martin

This is really good. This, unlike many other articles kept my attention. Good job! :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks so much! I like to keep my stories short but also pack a punch in them. I appreciate you taking the time to read!

Icithra PLATINUM, Arlington, Massachusetts

The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer

Great job! I really liked that. The length surprised me at first, but in a good way. It was jarring. Made me pay attention. No criticism here. That was really, reall good, and a little freaky, too.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you times a million! Every comment on this piece means more and more to me.(:

kamkit BRONZE said...
kamkit BRONZE, Ventura, California
Sorry this review is pretty late, but this story definitely deserved its place in the 'Extraordinary Love' Contest. Despite the shortness of it, you were able to effortlessly harness me into caring about what happens to the two main characters. Your description of thier expressions and countenances was great, and the characterization of the bully through his dialogue was perfectly believable. Also, loved the twist at the end, really brought the message of the entire piece home. Great job. :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

Wow, this is chilling. I honestly did not expect the end. Great job!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you so much! (:

kristen4552 said...
I really love this!!! its keeps you hooked and wondering whats going to happen next.I think your a really great wrighter and congratulations on the editor's choice!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks for the feedback! (:

PATRICKJOESPH, Eden, North Carolina

when life gives you lemons squirt them in lifes eyes

wow i can really relate to that 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

No, you're perfectly fine. I'm just glad you thought so highly of my work. (:

SaphiraBrightscales DIAMOND, Islamabad, Other

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
- Maya Angelou
When i was little/I used to point a chubby finger toward the dark sky/And ask my father/why some stars moved and others didn’t/He would laugh and explain that some were airplanes/I still wish on them today ~ Laugh-It-Out
The feathers of a crow are black/The ink of my pen is blacker/The pain of my heart is blackest~ Mckay
If love produced a blossom/I’d take it in my palm/What a blessing, the bright color!/How soothing, such a balm!/I’d keep a petal for my own/The rest, drop from my hands/For such a flower would multiply/And populate the lands~ thesilentraven
And I began to rival legends/Long entombed before my birth./But for all my much envied fame/The lust for more would not abate./The plaques and prizes with my name/Will, like all things, disintegrate. ~ TheEpic95 now known as Helena_Noel

Hehehe, well you know, I do know that this isn't the great kind of detailed feedback but I must say this article didn't leave much to say. But I am sorry because I've been posting not-detailed comments which I just realized. From next time, I'll try not to. eeek... Sorry.

on Sep. 8 2013 at 11:42 am
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you!!! (: And thank you!

on Sep. 8 2013 at 6:30 am

- Maya Angelou

This is amazing. Amazing. Amazing. P.S. Congratulations on the editor's choice! 

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you!

redhairCat PLATINUM, Pebble Beach, California

"I can do anything!"

I loved this!!! You did a great job!!!!