Dear Freshmen | Teen Ink

Dear Freshmen

January 18, 2013
By Anonymous

Entering high school can be a bit scary and somewhat challenging. It’s normal to be scared and nervous, or excited and anxious. A big problem in the U.S. today is bullying. I’ve you heard stories of people committing suicide from getting bullied or kids changing schools because of people making fun of them.
Bullying can be a big struggle in people’s everyday lives. Weather you know it or not, you yourself, can be a bully to even your friend without even realizing it. For example, commenting about what they’re wearing, or how they wear their hair. You may not know, but they can take that to heart. Bullying happens everywhere you go.
As for entering high school, the drama continues, the bullying gets worse and worse, and the classes get harder and harder.
As you grow up, you are going to realize you have to mature. Walking through the hallways at high school can be overwhelming and you will hear people making fun of others, talking meanly about them, even if they don’t know the kids.
“According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying,” says a study at Yale University.

Children get bullied so often that they can’t even take it anymore and even stay home from school. As for my mom, she always told me, “if you have nothing nice to say then don’t say it at all.” Bullying is very unnecessary does not need to be going on. If you don’t like a person then don’t talk to them or talk about them. You don’t need to go out of your way to talk badly about someone especially if they didn’t even do anything to you or if you don’t even know them!
So when you enter high school as a freshman, hopefully you will open your doors to a new beginning. What you say to someone can affect the outcome of the rest of their lives.