Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

Why do people bully? Why do people receive a sick satisfaction just by simply seeing another peer mentally disturbed or physically injured due to their own words and actions? Studies display that children bully because of their insecurities, sexualities, maturity level and their home life.

Forty-six percent of males followed by twenty-six percent of females have admitted to being victims in physical fights. One of every seven students from kinder garden to grade twelve has been a bully or has been bullied. Seventy-one percent of students reported that bullying is an on-going problem. Nine out of ten lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students have experienced harassment at school. Teens of a different sexual group are two to three times more likely to be bullied than straight teenagers. According to Deborah Carpenter and Christopher J. Ferguson, Ph.D., "Parents are a child's first and most powerful role models. From a very early age children mimic what they see their parents say and do." If a child is exposed to the abusive relationship of the parents, most likely they will end up being the bully of the school.

There are plenty of stories about bullying all around the world. Bullies have effected the lives of many teens and their families, for instance, the Todd family. Amanda Todd was video chatting with a stranger and he told her to flash him, and so she did. Not thinking anything of it, she continued to live her normal life, until she heard a knock on her door at four in the morning over Christmas break 2010. It was the police, they had a picture of her chest, when she showed the stranger on the webcam. Her picture went viral and when she returned to school everyone bullied her and made mean remarks towards Amanda. After changing schools, the picture followed her there, too. Things became so bad that Amanda attempted suicide by drinking bleach, but it did not work. Amanda's peers then began to take pictures of bleach, upload them to Facebook, and tag her in it. People would even comment that she should have tried something stronger. After all the years bullying from her peers, she committed suicide in her home on October 10, a few days after she posted a YouTube video asking for help.