The Game of Life | Teen Ink

The Game of Life

By VictorianEra BRONZE, Rosedale, New York
VictorianEra BRONZE, Rosedale, New York

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

There's this game of life we play,
and this is how it works.
You torment other people,
as if their of no worth.

You smile at their pain.
It makes you feel alive.
Your victims cringe away,
and it fills you with delight.

Someday, I hope you'll realize,
it's more than just a game.
The sobs of desolate people,
you are to take the blame.

And that day light will shine;
the birth of a new dawn.
But as for now as time stands still,
the game of life continues on.

Stop bullying . Words hurt!

VictorianEra BRONZE, Rosedale, New York

You don't know how much feedback like this means to me. Thank you !

Zaylie PLATINUM, Everett, Washington

"It's not the kind, the kind you take about it's just the kind that rips the clothing off your mind." -Flyleaf
"You feet in the air, Your head on the ground Try this trick and spin it yeah Your head will colapse when there's nothing it in."-Pixies

I really like this. I also think that people at my school would love to use this for a moto. I hope you submit more soon.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Completely agree with you. Bullying is unneccessary. People are dying from the effects of bullying. It must stop. Great words. And empowering poem, even though it's sad. 

SpeakerOfTheDead PLATINUM, Lemont, Illinois

“How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live.”
― Henry David Thoreau

Splendid message. Excellent job.  I really like your title. 

Jade.I.Am ELITE, Fishers, Indiana

“If you're losing your soul and you know it, then you've still got a soul left to lose”
― Charles Bukowski

I love your message, very uplifting. THR only thing I'd work on is rhyme scheme and the rhythm of the lines, cuz sometimes it was a little choppy....otherwise, it was really pretty (:

CrazySissi GOLD, Newman Lake, Washington

My only love sprung from my only hate. Too early seen unknown and known too late.

I really like the message that you are trying to convay. I think there is a word you spelled wrong but that's not that bad. Keep up the good work.

on Sep. 28 2013 at 8:59 am
VictorianEra BRONZE, Rosedale, New York

Thank ou all!

LaChouette GOLD, Mount Vernon, New York

“And then there are the times when the wolves are silent and the moon is howling.”
- George Carlin

Hello! This is a nice piece! It has a good meaning. I noticed a few grammatical errors, but it's not too bad. The rhyme scheme is a little off and some of the lines don't quite match up in sound and length, but I still think it has a lot of potential. Good Job!

AnInkling SILVER, Castle Rock, Colorado

“This is your life. Is it everything you dreamed that it would be, when the world was younger and you had everything to lose?” Switchfoot
“Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth?” Galatians 4:16

I think the peom is very good! However, I am a bit confused with the rhyming scheme. The first has no real rhymes while the second is "abac" and the third and fourth paragraph are "abcb". I think that any of them could work for the poem, but it might be nice to pick just one. However, the poem has a very good message!

blythebaird BRONZE, Palatine, Illinois

“I want to live in an honest house
where the motion detector is so sharp
it knows when my thoughts leave the room.

I want a clap on lamp that works as a polygraph;
when you swear you still love me, the lights flicker.”
― Megan Falley

I like the message a lot, but I feel like this is more of a prose piece. With some language upgrades here and there, I think it will be a great poem with an important theme. Great job!

on Sep. 17 2013 at 8:19 am
lily_sings GOLD, Felton, Pennsylvania

Hope is the thing with feathers, it perches in the soul, and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all. -Emily Dickinson

I enjoy this poem, it is simplistic but poignant. Excellent job. Please review/comment on some of my work if you get the chance :)