Words Hurt | Teen Ink

Words Hurt

October 17, 2013
By KaleyLove BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
KaleyLove BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein


On September tenth, 2013, twelve-year-old girl Rebecca Sedwick from Florida took her own life due to harassment, physical abuse, verbal abuse, and cyber bullying-all from her peers. The two girls accused of harassing Sedwick now face charges and the prospect of being put into a juvenile correctional facility. The girls, despite being responsible for the life of another young girl, expect to be exempt from these consequences. While there is no exact evidence of Sedwicks' suicide being from the girls actions, the two accused girls have now been charged of aggravated stalking, a third degree felony. Sedwick is now the youngest person to ever commit suicide due to cyber bullying. Sedwicks mother says her daughter received hateful text messages, Facebook posts, and many more cyber-attacks. The tragic story should serve as a massive eye opener to teens using the social media. Words hurt-be careful how you use them.


The author's comments:
I wrote this article because people-teens especially- don't realize how life-altering and harmful their words truly are. I hope that by reading this article people will feel challenged to think before they speak.