Put an End to Cyberbullying | Teen Ink

Put an End to Cyberbullying

By ABIGAIL.S PLATINUM, Trenton, Ohio
ABIGAIL.S PLATINUM, Trenton, Ohio

"only you can start a change you want"

Have you ever been bullied online or know someone you know that has? A lot of young adults have experienced it or know someone that has. Cyberbullying is a growing problem all over the world and is fight worth fighting for, for the sake of young adults everywhere.

Cyberbullying is a growing problem because most cyber bullies don't see it as bullying or don't know that there can be consequences. People that cyberbully can get phones taken away or accounts online shut down, also parents of cyberbullies can face legal charges because of the actions of their child's online or through the teen's cell phone. Sadly even though there can be consequences only about 1 in 5 cyberbullies are reported to authorities and half of all people bullied online or through text don't tell their parents or guardians about what is going on. That makes cyberbullying such a growing problem because when you're bullied online most of the time you don't tell anyone that its happening or no one knows until its too late.

Being bullied online or anywhere can lead to things like anxiety, depression, low self esteem and also suicide. One half of all young adults or young kids have been cyber bullied and about 25% are cyber bullied repeatedly. With the growth of technology and with how easy it is to have access almost all kids could possibly be cyberbullied. With cyberbullying the person doing the bullying can hide behind a face name and don't have to bully the person to their face which makes it feel like you're not really being a bully because your not pushing someone against a locker at school or calling someone names at school. Cyberbullying can also go viral and be seen by everyone all over the world not just by the people around you while you're being bullied. People can share and spread what someone said or a photo taken which makes the bullying worse that traditional bullying.

Cyberbullying is a problem that needs to be stopped and the only way to do that is to fight back. When you or someone you know is bullied online you have to stand up and tell an adult. Also make sure to print off proof of the bullying and the page of the bully. You need proof so go to the authorities and to stop the bully. You also shouldn't reply to the bully because it can make them feel more empowered to where they will keep going and going. The start of fighting cyberbullying is to stand up and tell someone you trust what is going on and to not ignore someone getting bullied onlin

Cyberbullying is every where you look and needs to stop because its hurting many young aduts and will only get worse if we dont put in any effort to stopping it.