One Way My School Stops Bullying | Teen Ink

One Way My School Stops Bullying

By Reincarnate-forever SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Reincarnate-forever SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

I am who I am, this is what we are, I don't care if this offends you, or your worthless god."

Finding out what YIK-YAK was, a app where people can post things it seemed exciting and fun since it was new. But then I saw  hurtful messages about students. Messages that called other students names and talked poorly about them--some were even about me.

I didn't do anything. I just looked at the screen, feeling broken, scared, and useless. Why would they do this.

Day by day, I walked into school looking around trying to figure out who said that awful thing about me. With no luck, I deleted the app and hoped the school would do something about this. It took maybe a matter of days before all this would be done.

The following Monday, I entered my school, and there were sticky notes on every locker. Every note was different. Some said “you’re beautiful” while more said “ You can do it.”

I smiled and knew the school found out about YIK-YAK and was doing something to change it.

As the week went on, the school blocked YIK-YAK, went on the news, sent an email to parents, and even had a full week where each student and staff member were asked to wear a different color to stand up to bullying.
The glow in everyone’s eyes made my day, I have made more friends ever since YIK-YAK has been blocked. The school has been more cheerful and more students have been standing up for kids when they are getting bullied.

The school did something to make feel like home and even a place to enjoy, it's not a place to be scared of, to not feel welcomed,  it's a place where we come to be educated and be happy”.