Bullying: All Schools' Number 1 Issue | Teen Ink

Bullying: All Schools' Number 1 Issue

By WhitneyTomlinson BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio
WhitneyTomlinson BRONZE, Springfield, Ohio

"Your flaws do not define you."
~DamonFizzy

Unfortunately, teasing is often part of growing up. Almost every child experiences it, but it isn't always as innocuous as it seems. Words can cause pain. Teasing becomes bullying when it is repetitive or when there is a conscious intent to hurt another child. It can be verbal bullying, psychological bullying, or physical bullying.

We often come across news, showcasing the effect of bullying in schools and the side effects on the harmed students. There are various types of bullying experienced in schools among the students like: teasing, taunting, threatening, hitting, spitting, and embarrassing others in public place.

All these actions may assault one’s dignity. The effect of bullying on the children is so negative, that it may damage their academic performance. It may force students to even commit suicide. It harms the students not only mentally but physically, emotionally, and socially. The cause of bullying varies from case to case. The assault may be due to some personal reasons or out of jealousy or it may depend upon the family background of bullies. Such families are considered to be dysfunctional as they are not interested in knowing about their child activities in school.

With ignorance comes fear and the fear leads to dogmatism (the tendency to lay down principles as incontrovertibly true, without consideration of evidence or the opinions of others). Education is the key to acceptance.
Such cases can be avoided by the combined efforts of school, parents and off course with the help of school students. It is said that with time, everything settles down, but in such cases we can’t wait for time otherwise something bad may happen and then no one will be able to handle its consequences.

Although teasing is a type of bullying but not identical to bullying, teasing is done to provoke other student with continual distractions.

Bullying means an imbalance of power. Bullied students are unable to defend themselves and this causes imbalance of power. The school faculty must change their attitude to prevent bullying. They must be non-judgmental, non-partial to students and must justify all the matters sincerely not by taking the side of any student but by being reasonable and practical over a particular matter.

Although a school authority performs the duties genuinely still the news of bullying is often heard. It’s because the students remain quiet and don’t bully in the schools because of the fear of authorities but there thinking remains the same. Maybe they don’t harm their classmates but what about their life, their attitude outside the school?

In order to change them completely, not only practically or awfully but emotionally also, the help of a child’s parents is indispensable. They must guide their children about their attitude. They must explain the children about what is right and what is wrong.

This would surround the students with positive energy and will definitely help them to overcome there bullying attitude. Rich or poor, high class or low class every child is same and equal and their innocence must not be harmed by substandard and unsatisfactory attitude. Lastly , I want to say that each of us is a book to be written, either good or bad , worst or best and, if written, defines a person’s personality, a person’s personality is by the people, the nature, the positive or the negative energy surrounding him. Good the surroundings are, best a person is.

Bullying is a very important thing that happens a lot in todays society, it might not ever be addressed in some cases but that doesn't mean it’s not there.

Stand up for who you are and take action, adults should try and fix the problem instead of always ignoring it, and children should stop hiding and tell someone, don't let fear overcome who you are as a person, weather others like who you are or not.

Bullying is a huge issue in today's sociaty and I think we need to take action, everyone talks about wanting to fix and demolish the bullying issue but nobody really tries.

BGIRL4LIFE BRONZE, Easley, South Carolina

"I WAS BORN TO MAKE MISTAKES, BUT NOT FAKE PERFECTION"-DRIZZY DRAKE

by the way @WhitneyTomlinson I think you should post more on teen ink:) P.S. Keep up the good work:)

@WhitneyTomlinson I totally agree with you because I believe that bullying should come to an end once and for all:)