How to Put on a Donation Drive | Teen Ink

How to Put on a Donation Drive

April 15, 2019
By STEMStepUp BRONZE, Winnetka, Illinois
STEMStepUp BRONZE, Winnetka, Illinois
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Many of us are involved in clubs at our school, and many of those clubs are eager to make a difference or have an impact, but might be unsure how to do it. Donation drives can be a great way.


What is a donation drive?


A donation drive is an effort to collect a certain item, like canned food or winter coats, which will be donated to an organization in need.


What’s so great about donation drives?


It’s true that most organizations would rather receive money than stuff (what’s called “in-kind donations”), but it’s also true that it’s easier to get people to donate “stuff” than money. So donation drives can be great because they are often asking people to give something they are happy to give and, if you plan well, something that an organization really needs.


Donation drives are also a great way to raise awareness for a cause that matters to you, and a great way to bring your club together. Working together toward a common goal can help unite your group, and can be a fun part of orientation for new students.


How to put on a donation drive


1. Identify a need. It’s important that you make sure to choose a donation item that’s truly needed, so that you don’t contribute waste or work to an organization that needs help. Talk to your library, community programs, religious organizations, homeless shelters, pet shelters, or other community groups in the area about what they might need. Some popular donation drive items include:

• Clothing
• Winter coats and other winter gear
• Food
• Children’s books
• Baby supplies
• Craft and art supplies
• Sports gear
• Pet food

If you can’t find a good item to collect and donate, you might collect something to sell (and then donate the money). First, you would want to check with your school to find out if you are permitted to have the sale there. Some items that can be good to collect and then sell are:

• General yard sale  - people can donate anything, and your group sells it like a yard sale
• Books - book sales are popular and easy to set up
• Clothing - you can sell all items for $1 each and easily donate what’s left
• Recyclable bottles and cans - if you live in a state that offers a refund on recycled bottles and cans, this is an easy way to raise funds

2. Make a schedule. You should have a schedule of when you’ll start collecting donations, how you will publicize the event, and when the donation drive ends. Sharing a countdown can help keep people motivated to give.


3. Plan logistics. How will you publicize the event? Are you picking up donations, or do people drop them off? Will you keep them at school, or at someone’s house? How will you transport them when it’s time to donate? Will you keep track of donors so that you can thank them?


4. Get lots of donations. This is the time to get your club members involved. You can make flyers, make announcements in class, reach out to family and friends, ask your parents to share with their colleagues at work, and try to get the word out to as many people as possible. MAKE IT EASY to donate by telling people how, where, and when they can drop off items, or how they can arrange pick-up. Share your progress so that people get excited and want to stay involved.


5. Make your donation. Try to get photos of the donation and the organization that you donate to. This way you can share a thank-you with everyone who donated and help people want to be involved in the future.


6. Make it annual. If you repeat your donation drive year after year, it will become a tradition and more people will get involved. Plus, people in your community will expect it and may save donations for you.


Remember that the most important step is to give an organization something it actually wants and needs, so communicate with them first to find out what will really help. Your donation drive can bring together your club and also make a positive impact in your community.