One Little Girl | Teen Ink

One Little Girl

I look out over a sea of children and one comes running up. Hand in hand we walk contrasting like chocolate and vanilla. She is five and I am seventeen. For three days she was my best friend. These were the best days of my life. This is my missionary experience in the heart of Zambia.

The little girl’s name was Missy and we had an immediate connection. We had an understanding. Even though we did not speak the same language, we understood the love for one another. We laughed, smiled, and hugged with all of our hearts.

My life was dramatically changed by these three days with Missy. I was able to feel all of the excitement and joy inside of her. Many times we look at just the outside of a person, this taught me to look within. She wore her best dress that was full of dirt and holes. But on the inside she was beautiful, caring, and dressed to the nines.

Saying goodbye to Missy was certainly the toughest part of the trip. It was not sleeping in tents or not having running water, but it was saying goodbye to this one little girl that was the most difficult for me. We both realized that this might be the last time we would see each other. I wanted to hold onto her forever. We hugged and finally said goodbye. I thought of her for the rest of my time in Zambia as well as every day.