A New Friend | Teen Ink

A New Friend MAG

A shut-in is a person who is not able to leave his/her home. The reason they can't leave their home could be many, but is usually a medical one.

Because I love to do volunteer work, I joined the Social Service Volunteer Program at school. The Social Service Volunteer Program gives students a chance to do 30 hours of volunteer work and get half a credit for it. Student can visit the elderly, be a big brother or sister, work in animal shelters, the day care center, or at the library. For me, SSVP gave me a new friend.

The lady I visit is named Shirley. Before my first visit, I was really nervous about meeting Shirley; I didn't know what to expect. But once again (as always) I was worried about nothing. During my first visit, I found her to be a kind, gentle lady.

I try to visit Shirley at least once a week. We have had so much to talk about. Our conversations include discussions on crime, drugs, snakes, potato-picking, and the Catholic faith. I have a very strong faith, so it is nice to talk to someone about it. A month after I started to visit her, I became a Eucharist Minister, which is pretty cool because now I get to bring her Communion every week.

I don't know about you, but I enjoy visiting someone much older than me. It's nice to listen to their opinions on life's little (and big) subjects. Their gentle wisdom kind of sticks with ya. fl