Ending the Seperation | Teen Ink

Ending the Seperation

By maddie.jo BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota
maddie.jo BRONZE, New Prague, Minnesota

June 26, 2015: the day that changed the world for 43% of its populations. The day that gay marriage became legal in all fifty states yet we are still seeing outbursts of discrimination (“50 States”). When searching the phrase on google “refusing to marry due to color” the results do not show any posts about that topic because it is not present, but what does pop up is posts about people who are heads of churches refusing to marry people who chose to love differently then what is “normal”. Seven months ago a priest refused to marry a gay couple and is now sentencing one year prison time (“Christian Pastor”). Discrimination against race ended in 1964 (“Teaching With”), so if we are not going to judge because of color why is it now we are singling others out because they have a different love interest then you? Our world needs to learn to be more accepting of the LGBT community because they are humans, everyone has a different calling in someway, and there is not a set religion.

Sometimes people in the world forget that each and everyone of us is a human. We are all made up of cells. We all have membranes inside of those cells and all those cells all have a nucleus. We are all required to breath oxygen in order to live. Meaning each and everyone of us is a human being with knowledge, feelings, and a destiny. We all have a brain which lets us understand right from wrong. We all have feelings that cause us to be angry, upset, or happy. We all have a different destiny to cover. Being human beings we should all know everyone deserves respect for the decisions they make. The GLSEN group did a survey on how often students that are LGBT are harassed in a high school setting and 61.1% reported that the were verbally abused, 46.5% reported sexual harassment, and 27.6% reported physical abuse (“2013 National School”). Some act blind to the problem when it is alive and we know that. The Prevention Resource Center estimated that 30-40% of the LGBT community attempted suicide (“Suicide Prevention”). These are real people with feelings. After doing some research it showed that the LGBT had the highest percentage for bullying. We need to start taking a stand for these people and let them know they are wanted in this world. The only difference about them is that they have a different destiny then some, making them love a different way than some. 

Everyone in the world has a different path that they will end up taking, Some are meant to be a cop and keep the community safe. While others are going to be teachers and shape the mind of young children. Both are looked at highly for how they help the community, but the jobs are so different from each other. Loving someone of the same gender is a lot different than loving someone of the opposite. If they are truly loving someone and treating them with the respect, why should we look down upon them? It is not our decision to look someone in the eye and tell them that the are not allowed to love freely. Before it was legalized many would not come out because of how they were looked at. Now that it is legal in all fifty states more are becoming open to letting others know that they love someone of the same sex or are a transgender. Now that the government is showing that they are accepting let us as a world show that we are too. The world needs to start by not denying gay, lesbian, bi-sexual, or transgender people when they walk into the church.

The first amendment is congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. Not everyone has to believe in the same religion or follow a religion at all. We live in a free world. Some could argue if it is a free world and there religion does not support LGBT human beings meaning that they have a right to discriminate them. They may have the right to, but is what they are doing right? It is okay to not agree with what they are doing based on your religion, but you should not hold them back. At a rural high school a gay straight alliance was formed and the town started an outrage (Wright). As adults they are showing their child that because someone chose to do something differently than them that it is okay to attack them. We need to learn as a world that there is not a set in stone way of living life. We are not meant to sit here and judge because one does not chose your “normal”. Meaning we should look at people who are LGBT with love and let them know we will accept them.

This world needs to be accepting to the LGBT because they are human, not everyone is meant to live the same, and we can not force our religion on anyone. Remember we are all made up of the same things and it is not our placement to tell people how they should live.Some are meant to be firefighters while others will be football coach's, just like some men will love men and some women will love women. You may believe in a certain religion while the person next to you might not. Respect others beliefs and what they think is right. This is a free world. We have the power to change how we treat each other. Let us start by accepting human beings as they chose to live and not discriminating them for who they are meant to be with.

Work Cited
"2013 National School Climate Survey." GLSEN. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.
"50 States with Legal Gay Marriage." ProConorg Headlines. N.p., 1 July 2015. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.
"Christian Pastor In Vermont Sentenced To One Year In Prison After Refusing To Marry Gay Couple - News Examiner - Examine Your World."News Examiner Examine Your World. N.p., 10 July 2015. Web. 08 Feb. 2016.
"Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth: A Workshop for Professionals Who Serve Youth." Suicide Prevention among LGBT Youth: A Workshop for Professionals Who Serve Youth. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.
"Teaching With Documents: The Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission." National Archives. N.p., 5 Feb. 2016. Web..
Wright, John. "Tennessee Parents Wage War On Gay-Straight Alliance, Compare Club To ISIS." The New Civil Rights Movement. N.p., 22 Jan. 2016. Web. 05 Feb. 2016.