Volunteering Has Changed My Life | Teen Ink

Volunteering Has Changed My Life

December 5, 2016
By Alyssa_Tyler BRONZE, Garfield, New Jersey
Alyssa_Tyler BRONZE, Garfield, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Once a month over the course of six years, I have volunteered at the Canteen Dance for special needs children and adults. While volunteering at this dance, my life has been impacted in a big way. I have learned many things about myself that I did not know before. It has also led me to know what I want to pursue in the future. Through volunteering with children and adults that have disabilities, my life has been changed in a major but good way.
The children and adults that attend this dance made two big impacts on my life. By going to this dance I started becoming a happier person. While volunteering, I become really happy and got caught up in their energy and all the fun they are having and I forget that there is even a world outside of the building. Also, my outlook on life has changed for the better. I have tried to have a more optimistic attitude. I try to see the good in a bad situation. Volunteering with special needs people has made me into a better person.


My future plans were influenced greatly by volunteering with children and adults with special needs. Previously I wanted to be a lawyer but after volunteering at this event once a month I decided I wanted to become a special education teacher. I have learned about myself that as I get older I want to continue volunteering. I do not want to stop once I go to college. For some people, a major part of their lives is hanging out with friends or partying, but for me the number one thing in my life that I love doing is volunteering.