Keep Them Alive! | Teen Ink

Keep Them Alive!

By --notte_stellata-- SILVER, San Jose, California
--notte_stellata-- SILVER, San Jose, California

"If you cannot do it, practice until you can do it. If you can do it, then practice till you can do it perfectly. If you can do it perfectly, then practice until you can do it perfectly every time."
- Yuzuru Hanyu

A few weeks ago, the very last male Northern White Rhino, Sudan, passed away. There are only 2 females of their species left, Sudan´s daughter and granddaughter. The reason their species is close to extinction is because of ivory trade. This issue is important because I believe animals and humans should live in harmony. Also, when we lose a species, the whole ecosystem changes, including the food chain, leading to over-reproduction of pests. Additionally, if we do not take any actions, 50% of all species will go extinct or be in danger of doing so by mid-century.

What are people doing to make their voice heard?
Some countries are banning ivory and supporting movements that help conserve animal species, such as the the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Also, they have marathons, marches, and protests to support the cause around the world. Some people are writing to their congressmen and women to get their issue to higher levels.

What risks are part of speaking up?
Some people who hold an opposite opinion might attack physically or digitally, for example in this issue the ivory traders, or a country that makes most of its economy from ivory trade. Also, if there is enough opposition, a leader might be killed or arrested. In this case of animal extinction, incredibly extreme groups holding opposition may go out and hunt endangered animal for the fun of it, or to get in the news. Also, in general, speaking up may have an opposite effect because there are people in the world who have bad intentions.

Speaking Up
Yes, because I believe animals and humans should live in harmony. Also, when we lose a species, the whole ecosystem changes, including the food chain, leading to over-reproduction of pests, and could threaten our lives as humans, too. Some things I can do are write to government officials or donate to fundraiser.

I think we need more people to know about the issue of animal extinction. For example, some scientists estimate 150 - 200 species are going extinct every day, which is more than a thousand times the natural extinction rate. Some of these are species we haven't even found yet. Also, we need to recognize what each and every one of us can do to keep these animals from going extinct, just like the dinosaurs did. This is frightening but true: we are in the midst of a sixth mass extinction, just like when the dinosaurs died off.

In the past 500 years, approximately 1,000 species that have gone extinct (that we know of). There is a wide range, from the woodland bison of West Virginia and Arizona's Merriam's elk to the Rocky Mountain grasshopper, passenger pigeon and Puerto Rico's Culebra parrot. But but there are thousands of species that disappeared before scientists had a chance to find them. Nobody really knows how many species are in danger of becoming extinct.

You can help too! You can tell your friends and family, ask them to donate to organizations supporting the cause or even take part in volunteer activities that support the cause. Keep animals alive!

This is a topic that not many people know of, but needs to be addressed urgently.