Global Warming: Is It Real or Just Another Myth? | Teen Ink

Global Warming: Is It Real or Just Another Myth?

By Aneira_Pereira BRONZE, Sharjah, Other
Aneira_Pereira BRONZE, Sharjah, Other

Why have hurricanes, floods, and droughts become so common? Why do you think the earth's great ice shelves are collapsing? Why was 2016 the hottest year recorded in all of human history? Why are glaciers retreating almost everywhere around the world? How would you explain the drastic rise of the sea level in the last century? Why has the extent and thickness of Arctic sea declined rapidly over the last several decades? To the people who believe global warming is a myth, answering even one of the above questions will be challenging. It is extremely disappointing that many of today’s influential world leaders do not believe in climate change.

One of the most consequential issues that we battle with as citizens of this planet is global warming; but people still debate whether global warming is even real or if it has been just been made up?

Earth’s temperature has risen about 1.62°F since the 19th century! The five warmest years on record have all taken place since 2010. Greenland and Antarctica lost an average of 400 billion tons of ice per year between 1993 and 2016! The global sea level has risen by 8 inches! The acidity of oceans has increased by 30 percent! With such concrete evidence and precise information, denying the existence of global warming would just be ignorant.

Global warming does exist! It’s not only a worldwide crisis but also one of the biggest threats to all of humanity! Stop taking global warming lightly; reverse global warming and save the planet.

SergeantSteel82 GOLD, Fort Wayne, Indiana

one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

I may never let go of my anger and wrath,
But I will always have the last laugh.
-Corey Taylor

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire

After recent developments in the forums, I see that most of my facts that I believed in are false. I am sorry for not believing in what you wrote.

-Francis Collins

But I will always have the last laugh.
-Corey Taylor

-Voltaire

Also, the natural disasters you mentioned, until the 19th century, we could not record those disasters on a global scale. So we don't know if 2016 was the hottest year ever recorded, we don't know that hurricanes, floods, and droughts are more common in recent years compared to our past. We don't have concrete evidence that we have drastically affected global warming. and for the case of Greenland and Antartica, how did that ice get there in the first place? You say that the Earth's temperature has risen since the 19th century, well how about since the 18th century? How about the 17th? There is no concrete proof that Global Warming is completely unnatural, but I do agree with you that we need to take better care of our planet.

-Francis Collins

But I will always have the last laugh.
-Corey Taylor

-Voltaire

Global Warming is real, but it is also natural. The Earth is coming out of an ice age, which requires heat. The part people are worried about is that pollutants are causing this to happen at a much faster rate. We need to take better care of our planet, but Global Warming would happen no matter how well we take care of our planet. It's the same for Global Cooling. The Earth will naturally move in and out of Ice Ages.