The Ride of the Future | Teen Ink

The Ride of the Future MAG

By Anonymous

      In the future,car companies will have to build more efficient models with cleaneremissions. This means they will have to mass-produce cars that run onalternative fuels such as natural gas, hydrogen, electric power andpropane. Companies will also have to lower prices so average people canafford these cars.

A natural gas vehicle costs up to $7,000 morethan a gasoline-powered one, while it costs $3,000 to $5,000 to convertyour car to natural gas. The only disadvantage of this conversion is asmall loss of power. The Department of Energy estimates thatnon-traditional cars will cost about $800 more than gasoline models whenmass-produced. A gallon of natural gas costs an average of 15 to 40percent less than gasoline and diesel.

Natural gas is thecleanest burning alternative fuel. The exhaust emissions from NGVs(Natural Gas Vehicles) are significantly lower than gasoline-poweredvehicles. In addition, matter produced by gas-powered vehicles increasesthe risk of respiratory illness. NGV engines produce much smalleramounts of this material.

According to a report by the NationalDefense Council Foundation, many jobs would be created to meet theprojected demand for NGVs and fueling stations. It is estimated that thedirect investment in vehicle fabrication, fueling stations andinfrastructure would create 13,500 jobs during the first phase ofdevelopment. Indirect investment would create 30,000more.

Natural gas also dissipates into the atmosphere in theevent of an accident, and has a narrow range of flammability. Naturalgas-powered vehicles might cost a bit more, but think of how muchcleaner and safer natural gas is than gasoline.